1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. longboarder2

longboarder2 New Member

Loc:
    southern NJ
    as previously mentioned, i am heating with a harman sf160. i have 7" black smokepipe coming off the back of the unit, going up about 4-5ft. and turning into 7" all-fuel from there, 30' to the roof. i am picking up an infrared thermometer (cool, with the little laser pointer). what temps should i be getting on the smoke pipe to help prevent creosote buildup? should i be looking for a certain temp range on the firebox door/water tank?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    Get a cheapo magnetic thromometer. Or better yet a probe-type stack thermometer. I always shot for 350F stack with my magnetic stack thermometer that was about 18" from the boiler flue collar. Never had any creosote buildup with my old conventional boiler (New Yorker WC130) which was very similar to the SF160. I only had slight flyash at the top of the chimney, 20' class A.

TS
  3. longboarder2

longboarder2 New Member

Loc:
    southern NJ
    i borrowed a infrared thermometer last year when i was burning last year---usually hovered in the low 200's. doing things a little differently this go'round and have slightly different equip. i will be checking it tomorrow night---in the 20's here--should be a nice steady, hot burn.

what are some ways to raise my stack temp if it looks low? more air? less wood? whatever?
  4. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I run very similar to this although my target is 400 degrees +/-. Admitedly the magnet termometers leave a bit to be desired in terms of accuracy but they're hard to beat for simplicity and cost effectiveness.
  5. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    More air should increase your temps. 200 is way too cold.
    Taylor Sutherland likes this.
  6. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    My magnetic thermometer reads around 100c lower than my dial probe guage.
  7. BoilerMan

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    Maple, what is 100 degrees Canadian? LOL, I couldn't resist.

Give it more air, shoot for the 350-400F range.

TS
  8. goosegunner

goosegunner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI
    My experience with the magnetic vs the internal thermocouple that I made up tell me not to waste any time with the magnetic.

Most of the time they are 250 degrees difference between the 2. If you are running 350-400 with a magnetic, I bet you are running 500-600 internal.

gg
  9. BoilerMan

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    That was the old days of smoke dragon, all different now with firetube heat exchanger and gasification.

TS