Flue temps on an Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tjm

Feb 25, 2021
Western NY
New blaze king Sirocco being installed! I’m not looking forward to no longer being able to see my flue and check it’s temperature with an ir temperature sensor. is there some type or remote or wired sensor I could have installed on the flue as it went in so I could still see my temps? Not worth it?

Tj

Folks out here use Condar temp sensor with the sensor attached to the flue pipe. There are two sensors I believe, one can be magnetically attached, another option is to drill a hole in the flue pipe to insert the sensor. There’s a few threads on it.

Reactions: Tjm
I've found that with a constant dry wood and some invested time on how it looks while running I rarely shoot my IR thru the top vents to get a reading any more. In fact the IR stays in the basement most times to read my water temps.
At one time I was nervous about the temps but I don't try to make the insert do something (like burn hot or smolder thru a long day or night) as it just doesn't have the fire box size. I can restart it easy enough in the morning or get up at some point in the night and stuff a few more hunks of wood into it.
I also still have the wood boiler keeping the house warm so it's not a do or freeze my butt off situation.

Congrats on the new insert. Operate the stove per the manual and keep the Cat gauge in the active zone. Each install will require a different lowest setting point on the thermostat knob due to venting length/draft/local atmospheric conditions/elevation/fuel quality etc. You will likely run several full loads completely before figuring out where you can turn down the thermostat and keep the Cat active until your load is mostly gone. Really quite simple if approached in this manor. Once you have figured out the low setting point you will be good to go. You can always run it at a hotter setting. In a nutshell.

The actual day to day range of normal use on your thermostat knob will likely be far less than what is available. Normal.

Reactions: Tjm