1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Fly Fishing Rods - Looking for some advice.

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by SKIN052, Apr 1, 2013.

1. SKIN052

SKIN052 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Appleton, Newfoundland
    I know a few of you are into a bit a fly fishing. I am finally looking to upgrade from a 3 year old starter kit for Atlantic Salmon Fishing. Was set on a St. Croix Imperial but saw a Fenwick HCX rod today that I really liked. Any ideas? Advice. Looking at getting a 9' with a 8 or 9 weight line set up.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Wooden Head

Wooden Head Member

Loc:
    West Michigan
    That is like asking some fisherman which of their children aren't ugly. Both are good rods. How much you spend on a rod may depend on how your using it and the streams your fishing on. Flys, indicator,chuck&duck, spawn? Size of fish in your area? If you can borrow a rod to fish with or go to a shop and cast a few rods to see which you like better than others.
  3. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    I am a St Croix fan, although I do not Fly fish!
  4. SKIN052

SKIN052 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Appleton, Newfoundland
    All I was after was a general idea on the quality of both rods, am not familiar with Fenwick as much so I will likely go with the one i liked the best. Thanks, only 2 more months till spring salmon run, getting the itch already.
  5. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio
    for Fly's I would reccomend a really small hook and poop for bait. As far as the rod any small piece of wood should do.
    basod and Eatonpcat like this.
  6. Boom Stick

Boom Stick Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    Take into account your budget before you start looking. You can find a rod in any price range. Take into account how much actual time you'll use it and your skill level. You can get a decent rod for cheap(er) and a great, light rod for $$$$$$. Lots of options.
    Eatonpcat and SKIN052 like this.