foam board insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Itslay90

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2022
Upstate,NY
what happens if you dont cover foamular ngx f-150 1 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. sse r-5 xps rigid foam board insulation in my basement. On the walls. I was thinking about putting insulation, but I’m not planning on framing my basement till next year

Not much, except for a laaaarge firehazard. You're supposed to cover it with drywall for that reason.

I foam boarded my basement a couple of years ago (2017 or 2018). I got part of covered with reflectix, then put up metal studs, then sheet rock for about 1/2 of it (all of what is closest to the pellet stove). The other half was open foam board (it is hazardous - expectantly the fumes put out if there is a fire - that will get you before the fire in my understanding).

Anyway, the foam board is fine after sitting on the wall for a couple of years. I did have to re-tape a couple of seams as one of my cats finds foil tape fascinating :)

Rigid foam before covering.jpg

Rigid foam after reflectix.jpg

I foam boarded my basement a couple of years ago (2017 or 2018). I got part of covered with reflectix, then put up metal studs, then sheet rock for about 1/2 of it (all of what is closest to the pellet stove). The other half was open foam board (it is hazardous - expectantly the fumes put out if there is a fire - that will get you before the fire in my understanding).

Anyway, the foam board is fine after sitting on the wall for a couple of years. I did have to re-tape a couple of seams as one of my cats finds foil tape fascinating :)

View attachment 312890

View attachment 312891
Did you notice a difference when you have your wood burning stove on since you put that up?

If well glued to the wall I would be tempted to to just glue 1/4” sheet rock to the foam. It’s not right but it would be a fast way to get fire protection. It would probably cost more than adding 2x2 studs then 1/2” rock.

It’s what I will do cover the exposed foam board in my rim joists where I have an exposed joist ceiling.

Did you notice a difference when you have your wood burning stove on since you put that up?

I use a pellet stove and my pellet usage went down by a ton or two. The foundation is no longer sucking up the heat and transferring it to the ground around it.

If well glued to the wall I would be tempted to to just glue 1/4” sheet rock to the foam. It’s not right but it would be a fast way to get fire protection. It would probably cost more than adding 2x2 studs then 1/2” rock.

It’s what I will do cover the exposed foam board in my rim joists where I have an exposed joist ceiling.
That would probably work. Definitely more expensive and more work to put up the metal studs (I actually used metal furring strips). And drilling into the concrete block to install the metal furring. But at the same time, it saved me some hassle when I replaced my old boiler and water heater with a direct vent combi-boiler a couple of months ago. The unit is required to be attached to plywood. Since I had the metal furring strips, they were able to attache the plywood easily, the install the combi-boiler.

BTW - make sure you use the correct adhesive for the foam board. Some adhesives will melt it.