Not open for further replies.
  1. hilly

hilly
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    After I have burned my stove for the day, I get a white fog on the inside of the glass. It seems to start at the center and then gradually fogs up. When the stove cools I can simply wipe it off. It looks like moisture, but isn't and it's not the dark coloured creosote I would expect on glass.

The wood I burn is well seasoned and I keep the stove quite hot, although the fog tends to increase as the fire gets low. I have been burning 24/7 for the last six weeks or so. (except, of course, when I need to clean!)

I was wondering if anyone has had this occur before and if I could do anything about it (aside from letting the stove cool and clean it)?

2. MrGriz

MrGriz
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 11, 2006
    Loc:
    Waterford, WI
    I get something similar once in a while. It seems to happen if I rush through cleaning the glass and don't dry it well.

I usually use vinegar and hot water to clean the glass. If it's a little too warm when I clean and any of the solution drys on the glass it appears clean but does 'fog' a little after burning for a while.

3. Todd

Todd
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2005
    Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    I use to get that on my old stove. Nothing I could do to prevent it. Hot fires will take some off, but not all. Just got use to it and did a weekly cleaning.

4. wg_bent

wg_bent
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2005
    Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I get that sometimes. I think it may be related to wet wood. Not unseasoned, but wood that has a little moisture from rainwater. Nothing conclusive though. It seems to wipe off easy enough with water.

5. Tendencies

Tendencies
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 29, 2006
    Loc:
    NW Wisc
    It's ash, my stove (insert) especially when I'm burning pine will get covered initially with black creosote when first starting out on a fresh load, once it gets up to temp the soot will burn off and the glass will be clear with just a fog or haze of ash left behind, easily wipes off when cool..

T

6. biggins08

biggins08
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 20, 2006
    Loc:
    Springfield MA
    My stove does the same thing and I think it is ash as well.....

7. hilly

hilly
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Thanks for the thoughts. I never considered it could be ash, so I have tried piling the coals in the middle of the stove and not pulling them quite so far forward. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.