Follow up question regarding humidifiers...............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
Maybe just as important a question, how many treat the water they put in their humidifier?
I understand that untreated water can lead to respiratory ailments and mold issues. Just throwing this out for discussion.

Here`s an interesting read:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5046.html

My bride just changes the filters a few times each season.... she's in charge of maintenance.

I only use RO (Reverse Osmosis Water). It is basically distilled with all purities taken out. I just started using an ultrasonic humidifier and it'r recommended to use RO water for these. In most cases though I would assume regular tap water is fine. I have a RO system in the house so it only made sense to use RO.

You need to use something to keep the bacteria and molds under control. Even distilled water becomes a bacteriological mine field due to exposure to contaminates in the air.

Even ultrasonic humidifiers need to be treated.

The good news is you don't have to pay all outdoors to do it. Good old household bleach does the trick and you don't even have to use a lot of it.

Use BEMIS humidifier bacteria treatment at every fill. 1 capful to every gallon of water.

SmokeyTheBear said:
You need to use something to keep the bacteria and molds under control. Even distilled water becomes a bacteriological mine field due to exposure to contaminates in the air.

Even ultrasonic humidifiers need to be treated.

The good news is you don't have to pay all outdoors to do it. Good old household bleach does the trick and you don't even have to use a lot of it.
X2 and here is the ratio of bleach to water. Why pay more for other cleaners. This one will do just fine for pennies. http://www.doityourself.com/stry/cleanuphumidifier

I use a bacteriostat liquid that I bought, one cap full per gallon. I also bought some of these plastic balls that you just set into the water and they are supposed to last one month, they condition and prevent bacteria and mold for 30 days or there abouts..

Any water that sits in the humidifier tank is prone to get mold or bacteria, no matter what kind of water it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.