For flue probe owners.... a poll out of curiosity...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

So what temps do you see in your flue ???

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shawneyboy

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2010
NE PA
So if you have a flue probe thermo, what is your normal peak range, where you feel comfortable. Note this is not a cat thermo I am speaking of non-cat stoves with a flue probe thermo. I am just wondering where you run at when she is cranking...

Being i have a hearth mount, the best i can do is the T behind the exit. I know this may cause higher temps but so far been rather normal to what id expect to see at the 18in mark.

Ill let it work its way up towards the 1000 where i start backing off the air. I find it does its best above 800, hold good secondaries, temps stay even.

Cruising - I go around 4-600. At first fire, or reload, it may hit 800 before I get the firebox to a point that I want to tune it back down.
(I voted in the middle with 6-700F)

Hearthstones send a lot of heat up the flue. Seems to be a theme with this brand.

I always run the flue up past 1000 with the first warm up fire to prime the pump. During the "cranking it" times I aim for 900 which is the top of the normal range on the condar. Anytime there is a decent amount of wood other than coals the thing runs at about 800 even with the intakes shut to zero.

Last night I went to bed with a full load, intake damper slammed shut, 450 stove top, and 900 flue temp.

Generally I try to keep the temps when cruising between 550 and 700 degrees.

Cruising for me is anywhere from 350 to 500. Reloading I get nervous if things go above 800 but 700 is a regular tempature . I voted under 600.

From my experience with these, I believe it's hard to say that one particular temperature is the "redline." Better to compare stove top temps vs. what the fire looks like vs. what these things read and just get used to what the normal temps you are seeing are considering all the information together. For some, you may not want to see it get above 700, for others, 1000 could be fine.

I really like mine, but if I were to have only 1 thermometer, the probe would not be it.

pen

All these different internal flue temps make me wonder if it's just the different chimneys, stoves or something else and if it effects efficiency or if it's so small a difference it doesn't really make a difference. I don't really know what my internal flue temps are because I have single wall pipe and we have found that the radiant heat off single wall effects the temps on probe thermometers but my external temps only run 200-350 depending on the type of burn.

Todd said:
All these different internal flue temps make me wonder if it's just the different chimneys, stoves or something else and if it effects efficiency or if it's so small a difference it doesn't really make a difference. I don't really know what my internal flue temps are because I have single wall pipe and we have found that the radiant heat off single wall effects the temps on probe thermometers but my external temps only run 200-350 depending on the type of burn.

Yep, that's my take too. The max is obviously the maximum recommended sustained temp for that particular pipe, but saying where the stove will normally cruise will be different from install to install and stove to stove.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.