For the Spell Check Challenged - Slightly Off Topic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

restorer

Hearth Supporter
Aug 16, 2006
Salt Lake City, Utah
Disclaimer first. I have no interest or participation in this project. Those of you who hate the spell checker and would like to be actively reminded about your typing skills should try the FireFox Browser. You can opt for a full time spell checking as you type. Appears on my screen as a red underline. Some other screen formats may use a different form. Does not correct your spelling, but lets you know you are in trouble. You can then use the forum spell checker to correct. Seems most of my errors are bad typing, as I see the error I can stop and correct. Here's a link to check it out:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

BTW, they have a great email program also, AND it's free.......... Wahoooo!!!!!

I've been using Mozilla for about 4 years now and really like it. Reliable and gives me all I need in one spot. When I set up systems, this is what I install. Mozilla is now into it's 2.0 incarnation which is called SeaMonkey.

What is the Spelling Plug in or extention called?

My version is
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.9) Gecko/20061206 Firefox/1.5.0.9
I Like it
Hardly every use IE any more
but I have a hard time getting some Video content to work with firefox.
Tried downloading the extentions but still no workie

I use safari and firefox both. safari runs better on the mac the mozilla for me, but mozilla ruled when i had my pc. havent used IE exploder in years.

hearthtools said:

My version is
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.9) Gecko/20061206 Firefox/1.5.0.9
I Like it

Same problem here Rod. It feels like an active x extension is missing that IE has built in. The WM player seems to be dysfunctional in other than IE browser. Hmm that's odd.....

hearthtools said:

My version is
I Like it

Rod :
Not a techno geek, but I have used Firefox and Thunderbird for years. Saved my butt when the Desk Top went TU and I needed an emergency unit. Now use the Laptop, all the time. I would suggest down loading the browser, Firefox, at the link I left. Download to your desktop. Use your favorite add/remove program and remove your current version, saving your files. Install 2.02 and select your add-on from the list they provide. If you are into whistles and bells, FF is not the cat's meow, but you can do some amazing things. For example, I monitor the temperature here on line. I watched the temp drop from 21* to 15* in 90 minutes. I use Walnuts background, so I still think I'm working, even if it's only a screen.

If FF works for you, then download thunderbird. I am not real sold on the Mozilla package. Seems to work a lot slower than the separate programs. Besides, I had a hell of a time trying to download the package, and then it wouldn't install correctly.

RE: Spell Check and Firefox

I don't think there is a plug-in or extension needed for the spell check, it is built into Firefox 1.5+ (I'm using 2.0) but you can turn it on and off through the options...

Tools->Options go to "General Tab" and look for the checkbox for "Check my spelling as I type"

I use Thunderbird at work because our email is a Microsoft Exchange server which is IMAP. I hate Outlook and Eudora is not a great IMAP client, but a better POP3 client. I use an old version of Eudora at home which I prefer to Thunderbird, except as an IMAP client.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.