For those of you thinking about scrounging christmas trees!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clemsonfor

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2011
Greenwood county, SC
Saw the post last week about the CL add for the 2 8ft christmas trees for firewood for $50, and it got me thinking. We put up 2 each year and we have 8ft ceilings and they about touch the ceiling so thats what size i have. Were taking them down now and i just pulled the first one out side and had thought last week about turning them into fire wood.

So back to what my point is, i would not pay the $50 for 2 of them. See pics this is all i got out of them!!!!

EDIT: Notice the blue flagging in the tree still! Yep were high class that was in it the whole time! haha. Its a little joke, the first christmas tree the wife n i bought about 4 years ago we never took that thing out and did not notice it for weeks, at that point we left it in as a joke. So this one we saw it after it was standing for a week when we were decorating it and just left it again. We have so many ornaments you relly dont see it unless you look.

Attachments

• 0115121650.jpg
    0115121650.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 650
The result!

Attachments

• 0115121658.jpg
    0115121658.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 647
clemsonfor said:
Saw the post last week about the CL add for the 2 8ft christmas trees for firewood for $50, and it got me thinking. We put up 2 each year and we have 8ft ceilings and they about touch the ceiling so thats what size i have. Were taking them down now and i just pulled the first one out side and had thought last week about turning them into fire wood.

So back to what my point is, i would not pay the $50 for 2 of them. See pics this is all i got out of them!!!!

Desperate times call for desperate measures. If someone is stupid enough to bite on those, I'm sure the lister would be smart enough to sell em'. Remember what P.T Barnum once said...................................

hahahhahahhaa... catch my breath..... hahahahahhahahahha.

I remember seeing the post about the CL ad for the 2 christmas trees. That is hilarious. hahahsa ... still chuckling as i type.

We scrounged up a few this year, tossed them next to the ever growing scrounge pile to process in the spring. Probably grab more next year too. Pine makes awesome kindling, and I need some mulch for the garden (we have a little chipper that can hopefully handle the branches-it was free and it's a little electric jobber so we'll have to see). We'll have our full size truck up by then, so we can just toss a bunch in on the way home. I don't think I'd waste gas driving around for them, but free is free if we're already driving by them! I'd NEVER buy them though, lol. Well, maybe...if it was a bunch of them delivered for like $10 or something.

There a ton of branches on them it did not seem worth my time to cut the branches off, esp since i have so many places to get wood.

We're basically limited to trying to be the first to reply to CL listings or luck driving by rounds at the curb, so beggers can't be choosers for us-at least for now. It's either that...or..*cringe* buying wood again (had to this season since we just bought the Cottage in the fall). at the worst we've got bonfire wood :D

My favorite one so far was the guy trying to give a tree stump away on Craigslist (it needed to be removed from his yard) WTH do these people come from??...lmfao....

Im almost with the guy who said it may be a joke! both the stump and christmass tree ones are hilarious, thats my tyoe of humor and something i might do. Of course i would not put my #?

rottiman said:
Remember what P.T Barnum once said...................................

"Without promotion something terrible happens... Nothing!â€

Or do you mean David Hannum's famous accusation about P.T. Barnum's source of customers?

My wife loves feeding the birds. Of course this makes a great dinner table for the hawks too so every year we just stack the Christmas tree by some of the feeders and the birds get to hide in them. Seems to work.

Dennis has a great use for older Christmas trees; protective cover for the smaller birds. Another good use for used Christmas trees is this: If you have a pond large enough, take your used trees to the center of the pond and weigh them down with a large rock. Over the years the trees form a very large castle for the smaller fish to hide from their larger predators.

Small mouth bass love this form of underwater structure and many days can provide hours of exciting catch-and-release fishing using barbless hooks. ;-)

John_M

John, I've heard of that before but never knew anyone who tried it.

On the Lake i work at we sink several hundred a year!

clemsonfor said:
The result!

Great photo! :lol: No arguments over how many cords there. I admit that I intended to poke fun at the ad but did not want to cause abusive of the poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.