1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

For those wondering, soft or harwood pellets

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by freebird77, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freebird77

freebird77 Feeling the Heat

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    Thanks for the info. It makes it hard for the average Joe out there when everyone is touting the 'hardwood' pellets just like the firewood...
  3. latichever

latichever Member

OK, I read that article and it says this, "Most warehouse clubs and retailers carry pellets that have a strong smell of cardboard, or other unpleasant scent. DO NOT BURN THESE PELLETS! "

But when I'm into March and running low I buy from these kinds of retailers. But I don't buy them unless they have the seal of the Pellet Fuel Institute.

http://www.pelletheat.org/3/institute/standards/PFI Proposed Standards Matrix.pdf

To get the seal the Institute mandates:

"It is required that PFI manufacturer members label their product as to which grade of material is in the bag and that they disclose the type of materials (e.g. oak, maple, cedar, fir, corn, wheet straw, etc.) as well as all additives being used, and if there are any chemically treated materials.

"It is recommended that manufacturers include on their bags the membership logo and in a printed block the guaranteed analysis."

So unless I'm missing something here, pelletking.com is painting with too broad a brush, and if you read the label carefully, you'll b OK>
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    This does seem like a bit too general statement. The odor comes from the type of tree the sawdust comes from. For years I burned Lignetics softwood pellets from Idaho. They had a mildly disagreeable odor, but were excellent pellets and for a couple years sold at the local Home Depot.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.