forced air hx thermostat dilemma

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Thanks" Huskers.........

-Soupy1957

new here, been around awhile. Got a little fuzzy reading threw all the post. Here is what I do. Run primary loop 24/7 and the secondary loop for any one of the HX/forced air coils has a strap on auqasat [on primary loop] that has 3 post switch N.O/N.C.-- that breaks the heat wire[white-w] [24v] from the tsat. if the primary loop is hot enough. [its all adjustable] it energizes the secondary pump and furnace fan. If below set point the furnace comes on normally. This is a very simple set up and the only area of caution is you need a relay on the fan wire so it won't back feed threw t-sat and turn on the A/C [or a 5 minute seasonal change over].

Why would you want to run the primary loop all the time?

Circulators aren't total energy hogs to the same extent as large electric motors but since kilowatt-hours accumulate quickly quickly even by modest loads run 24/7, it seems as if you're burning electricity you don't need to- and dissipating heat as it goes round and round in the loop during times your end load is not calling for it.

pybyr said:
Why would you want to run the primary loop all the time?

Circulators aren't total energy hogs to the same extent as large electric motors but since kilowatt-hours accumulate quickly quickly even by modest loads run 24/7, it seems as if you're burning electricity you don't need to- and dissipating heat as it goes round and round in the loop during times your end load is not calling for it.

In my case it is due to the logistics of controlling a circulator from 150' away. Without any signal wire from house to boiler, the simplest way to run the system was to have the house fed hot water all the time and pull off of the loop as necessary. This is what I am correcting now, by installing wire runs from the house to boiler, adding automation to the process, and plumbing in storage.

I totally agree with you; the heat loss adds up, as does the energy to move the water continuously. However, it is a quick and dirty way to get the system up and running, albeit at the expense of burning more wood and using more electricity.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.