1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Found a new tool for sawing firewood

Post in 'The Gear' started by MattW, May 19, 2014.

1. MattW

MattW New Member

Loc:
    Fort Langley, BC
    I was sawing firewood today and happened to have my excavator with thumb handy so I tried something new. I picked up a log and held it in the air at convenient sawing height and just walked down the log sawing it into blocks. Very fast and worked great, sawed 7-8 cords in a little over an hour. This was far faster than my usual methods of either sawing the log most of the way and rolling it and then finishing the cuts or blocking up the log and dealing with pinching the bar.
    [​IMG]
    budman, Clyde S. Dale and toddnic like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jon1270

Jon1270 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    A little pricey for me, but I'll put it on my Christmas list just in case anyone is feeling especially generous this year.
    D8Chumley likes this.
  3. brant2000

brant2000 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southwest PA
    Looks like that does the trick. If the bar on your husky was just a bit longer you might be able to make the cuts from the cab.
  4. bluedogz

bluedogz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Maryland
    And all this time I've been wondering what to do with that excavator lying around...
  5. kennyp2339

kennyp2339 Member

Loc:
    This past winter my buddy ran into a nice score and asked if I could give him a hand with cutting up lengths, he had a machine and picked the logs up just like you described, what a time saver and back saver, I wish I had one of those for my property.
  6. MattW

MattW New Member

Loc:
    Fort Langley, BC
    I think the sad part of this is that I've had the excavator for something like 20 years and never thought of this before. I guess it's always been at a job clearing land or at the gravel pit or building site and not sitting where I was cutting wood. So on one hand I felt like a genius zipping through my firewood fast and on the other I felt really dumb for not coming up with this a lot sooner. (doh)
  7. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Thats kinda...almost....like cheating. Now design a wedge to go on the thumb and start splitting those suckers.;lol
    budman and bluedogz like this.
  8. prezes13

prezes13 Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I did that once and it worked great, we had a few big rounds of oak laying around in our pipe yard way to heavy to move, so I took a backhoe with a hammer attachment and split it.
  9. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    You cut up 7-8 cords in a little over an hour?

I think I will have to raise the flag on that one.

:)
    Charlie2 likes this.
  10. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    I've done that as a two man job. It's pretty slick.
  11. D8Chumley

D8Chumley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Collegeville PA
    MattW Is that a 225?
  12. MattW

MattW New Member

Loc:
    Fort Langley, BC
    For real. The saw's a tuned 394 so it rips through it pretty fast and with no log rolling or re-aligning things it's just sawing rounds as fast as the saw can get through them.
  13. MattW

MattW New Member

Loc:
    Fort Langley, BC
    It's a 120, just a little excavator
  14. D8Chumley

D8Chumley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Collegeville PA
    Gotcha, a Cat 225 was really the first hoe I spent any amount of time on. I'm running a 321 now but have run up to a 385. Actually I'm lying, I got to go to the Cat proving grounds in AZ a bunch of years ago and ran a 5130 hoe and 5230 front shovel. Now THATS some big iron. Also got to play on a D 11 while I was there :cool:
  15. MattW

MattW New Member

Loc:
    Fort Langley, BC
    Nice, I've never had the opportunity to run the really big stuff, just a little bit of time in a Hitachi 350. I haven't really run dozers at all.
    D8Chumley likes this.