Found some “seasoned” oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

darktower007

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2018
Chattanooga
Well for $40 a truck load I think... think I have found some! Color is right been there for 3 years... moisture meter will tell!

Scheduled for Friday pickup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray Charles can see that wood is ready.

Well.. sadly. Yesterday I drove 1 hour and 25 minutes one way. Through some backwoods deliverance types to the address. And..... the guy never showed up! I msg him on Facebook and no response. The wood was out in the open and in covered, when I arrived of course it was raining. Man I was pissed! WTF? He never even responded back. It’s near a saw mill, and logging operation, which would explain all the wood, but not his flakiness. [emoji1745]‍[emoji3603]

Reactions: woodhounder
Well.. sadly. Yesterday I drove 1 hour and 25 minutes one way. Through some backwoods deliverance types to the address. And..... the guy never showed up! I msg him on Facebook and no response. The wood was out in the open and in covered, when I arrived of course it was raining. Man I was pissed! WTF? He never even responded back. It’s near a saw mill, and logging operation, which would explain all the wood, but not his flakiness. [emoji1745]‍[emoji3603]

Oh that sucks! If he would have just responded then you could have maybe worked out something where you took the wood and paid him somehow. I’ve given some on Craigslist some trust without knowing them. I’ve never been burned doing so yet.

Oh that sucks! If he would have just responded then you could have maybe worked out something where you took the wood and paid him somehow. I’ve given some on Craigslist some trust without knowing them. I’ve never been burned doing so yet.

The wood was out in the open on a concrete pad... is it worth it anyway if it’s uncovered? It was soaked when I arrived.

The wood was out in the open on a concrete pad... is it worth it anyway if it’s uncovered? It was soaked when I arrived.

If the wood is solid the rain moisture will dry out soon. It’s the stuff that’s in the wood that takes time to dry out. The moisture is in what would be like straws in the wood and the denser the wood ie. Oak the longer it takes to dry the wood from green. But when it’s bought and brought home stack it and cover it and bring some splits inside to dry out. I use canvas tarps to cover my wood now as they last a long time and they don’t blow around like plastic ones. Hopefully next summer I’ll be able to put a roof over my stacks.

Reactions: SpaceBus
1/2 cord in a pickup all day long. Hour and a half away I would have put sides on the biggest trailer I could find. Too bad the OP couldn't arrange payment after the fact.

Can you fit a face and a half in a pickup?

With an 8' bed and a ton of payload capacity you can. I've done it twice now. Most folks think a full 8' bed is a cord, but you are right. Face cord just sounds dumb to me, so I call it a truck load to not confuse the locals.

Reactions: WiscWoody
With an 8' bed and a ton of payload capacity you can. I've done it twice now. Most folks think a full 8' bed is a cord, but you are right. Face cord just sounds dumb to me, so I call it a truck load to not confuse the locals.
I’ve loaded my long bed trucks with tossed wood and I thought they fit just a little more than a face cord. It’s hard for me to talk since I don’t cut and partition my wood into face cords when I sell a truckload. I get $135 for the load with well seasoned wood delivered and stacked but I only sell a few of the loads a year to some of my mowing clients.

Some can fit a cord and then some in a long box but as they say, when your leaf springs look like they’re upside down you probably have your truck overloaded. Bahahaha

For comparison my 1995 Chevy extended cab short box will haul a third of a cord when tossed in somewhat carefully to a level a bit higher than the bedrails. I have a 4' tall by 8' long single row rack in the house that is filled perfectly on that truck load. 16 inch splits.

Reactions: WiscWoody
Take a guess how much this is. I know the answer but like to know what people think. The trailer is 6x12.

Attachments

• Found some “seasoned” oak
    20180615_110958 (1).jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 139