Found some to cut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Like Zap, sometimes I just go looking for something to cut. My wife says she will help cut some of the downed stuff so maybe tomorrow the saw will run once again. We shall see. Sad, but all the pictures did not come out. Not sure why but was using the old camera. Maybe that is why I bought the new one! lol Shoot, there are some other pictures on the camera that were taken a couple years ago but I can't get them off. I try to copy them onto a card and it says that it copies, but doesn't. Sort of works like my kids used to.... Also, sorry that the pictures did not come out as clear as I would like, but there they are.

We'll start with 2 pictures of a woodpecker hole or holes. We are wondering if these are from the pileated woodpecker that moved in last year.

Woodpeckerhole-1.gif

Woodpeckerhole-3.gif

Here is the tree without zooming. Does anyone care to take a guess at what kind of tree this is?
Woodpeckerhole-2.gif

Here is an elm that is beside the creek. This is what I've been stating about elm. This will not be cut until next winter although it is just about ready. If they are cut when the bark falls off, they mostly are easy to split and make much better firewood. The reason the wood is better is because it is not all stringy now like it is if you cut it green. That stringy stuff burns super fast but this dead wood will not burn that fast.
Elmbycreek.gif

This one really broke my heart when I found it. For the last couple of years I've been thinking about trimming this tree and using it for a tree stand during archery deer season. Now it is dead. Not sure if I'll get that cut this spring or not. Usually we don't cut in the spring but I just might. It scares me a little bit because there are lots of dead limbs up there. Hard hat time for sure....and fast feet will help.

So what kind of a tree is this?
Pinoakdead-3.gif

Another shot of it.
Pinoakdead-1.gif

One more picture of that tree.
Pinoakdead-2.gif

So, the snow is melting quite a bit now. Some places it is about knee deep but most spots it is about 5-6" and then there are a few bare spots, like where I plowed snow or where there is good sunshine. So I should be able to get around pretty well even with the new hip.

Looks like you'll be busy Sav. We have a pileated woodpecker working on a pine in front of the house. Other than the elm is that all ash trees you'll be working on?

Zap

Nope, not ash Zap. I'll let a few others chime in on this before stating what they are. I will say that I like them.

Silver maple.

I really don't have a clue. I'm looking at it from my phone and the pics are too small. I just wanted to say it before jay.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Jay is going to get you for that one Jeff.

Actually, I think he's always right. I'm definitely not qualified to argue.

jeff_t said:
Silver maple.

I really don't have a clue. I'm looking at it from my phone and the pics are too small. I just wanted to say it before jay.
I think maybe you are right.

Pin Oak? (Only because I remember you mentioned Pin Oak the other day & something about having to cut one,I think. )

Pin Oak, branches like a pine, it's got to be a pin oak! :lol:

Doesn't look like a pin oak to me, but I'm not familiar with pin oaks in timber, pretty much only see them in yards around me. That makes a huge difference with tree structure, I'd imagine.

actually, now that I relook at the first picture (of the last tree you mention) It does look like pin oak bark, BUT, what's with the maple looking flat bark on the 2nd picture? that's what is messing me up.

Pileated woodpeckers are my favorite bird. I don't get to see them very often, maybe one a year if I'm lucky. To me they almost look prehistoric. Just amazing animals.

Looks like you'll have some nice stuff to work with.

pen

I agree, they are pretty cool looking. Here is a picture of a red headed woodpecker I took a couple of years ago with my less than awesome cell phone camera. I know it's not the same, but he was really going to town on that pole...
woody.jpg

pin oak

Those holes are definitely Pileated Woodpecker foraging holes. I think they are an indication that the tree has, or had, carpenter ants. They make round openings to their nests, but long oval shaped holes like the ones in the pics when they are excavating ants.

Definitely Pin Oak. All those dead limbs are what create the endless knots within the log. This wood will burn great when dry, and will have you thanking the decision to buy the splitter, or will pursuade you to buy one.

If the holes are fairly big, 3 inches or so, it's probably the pileated.

The first tree, with the woodpecker holes, looks like an oak tree, red/black type oak, not white/burr.

Thanks for the guessing guys. For sure some have it right but none guessed on the sassafras. I love to cut those just because the wood smells so darned good but this tree will stand. The first 3 pictures, with the woodpecker holes are sassafras. Then comes the elm and the last pictures are of a pin oak.

Thistle, yes I did mention a dead pin oak but it was not this one. I just found this one so I have 2 to cut. It also makes me concerned that something may have got into the trees so I'll keep close watch on the other pin oak we have.

Danno77 said:
jeff_t said:
Silver maple.

I think maybe you are right.
+100

Hang in there Jay. Sorry, no silver maple stuff on our place. Not many oaks either but we do have a few, mostly young except for a very few pin oak and a white oak or two. Lots of soft maple. Ash is going fast so soon there won't be any of that left.

I have a few pileated Woodpeckers working my trees in the yard. Huge holes, like what you have there. Do they kill the trees?

The trees will die in time but most can take it for many, many moons. I am amazed that they went for the sassafras as that is a good tree and should not be hollow at all. But then, they have some pretty good sized chisels to work with. Seems most of the nests I've seen were in maples but then, I have not seen that many. These birds are a new arrival for us. Previous to last year, to see any we would have to go about 100 miles or more west and further north.

Status
Not open for further replies.