FP Insert Questions - advice please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wifeasking

Jan 3, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Hello Forum, I asked some questions almost 2 years ago and back then couldn't convince hubby to get an insert. Two more winters of me whining about how cold I am at the cottage, and I think I've worn him down. Would now appreciate some great advice from you experts, please:

Criteria: Large viewing area, flush, clean look, good heat output but controllable so hubby is not pushed outside in January, well made, etc etc.

Details: Cottage ~1100 sf, with a planned addition to 1500 in a few years. Masonry interior FP with clay flue tiles; opening approx 33 w x 22 d x 25 h. Good draft in chimney. Single story house (may change to cathedral ceiling in reno). Location: Ontario, Canada. Hubby is very handy so installing ourselves.

Short list: New BK Sirocco 25, FPX Large Fire Hybrid - supplier demo (cheaper)

Hubby likes the Sirocco as it seems to have a control that would prevent me from burning out the cat the first time I'm up by myself (also good for our daughter), plus temp control. I like it as well, esp. given the reputation and my difficulty in finding any of you having much negative to say. Price is ouch. I can see this being my "romantic" anniversary gift .... I'm willing to sacrifice.

Questions:
- Between the above 2, which would you put in your own house?
- Do we need an insulated liner?
- Good place to order liner kit in Ontario/Canada?
- Can rigid piping be used (esp with BK flue adapter)? Is it better/worse than flexible?
- Given interior FP, I assume no need to insulate fire box as I've read. Correct?
- Can the insert ever be used with the door open (hubby loves "a real fire"; the stumble last time...)
- What else do I need to know to make my sales pitch stick this time?

Thank you, gentlemen!

Given that there is future expansion the BK should provide more flexibility with its thermostatic control. The FPX might drive you out of the house until the expansion is done. Yes, you need an insulated liner. The liner can be rigid if the chimney flue is straight and large enough. A short section of flex at the end is used to connect the insert. Yes, you can skip insulating the fireplace firebox. No, these two inserts are not meant to be burned with the door open. Stay flexible and let hubby take the lead on what will work best. If open door burning is a priority option then seek an insert that allows this and maybe has a screen option. It will be a non-cat insert and may or may not be flush. Check out the Osburn Matrix for example.

Last edited:
Regency has a couple nice flush mount contemporary fireplace inserts with different btu ratings that might appeal to you. www.regency-fire.com

As begreen said, any insert will require an insulated liner and if you're trying to heat the house as opposed to burning through your wood pile you want to keep the doors closed on any insert.