FP25, FP30 or something else?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jar944

Jan 18, 2024
Virginia
I had been looking at rsf offerings and was considering a opel-2 but didnt really want a catalytic model. That lead me.to look was look at the fp30 when I came across a used fp25. I think it makes more sense to go with the 30 vs the 25 for the larger log capacity and slightly higher btu rating. Northern virginia doesn't get that cold, but the house is 4000sqft (5600 total conditioned space envelope) and relatively open. The room where it would go is 18x25 with 18'6" ceiling and open to the rest of the house on both upper floors. All that to say I don't think I can out heat the space.

So I guess my question is, for this application does it make any sense to consider the fp25 just to save a bit of money . Or should I consider a completely different model/manufacturer.

A nice advantage of the FP30 is N/S loading of up to 18" wood. That makes running the stove with a full load, 24/7 a lot easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcdougy
A nice advantage of the FP30 is N/S loading of up to 18" wood. That makes running the stove with a full load, 24/7 a lot easier.
Certainly an advantage. Beyond that and claimed 14k btu difference is there anything I'm missing?

Just trying to wrap my mind around the added benefits with the cost difference. (Admittedly short sited)

Depending on the cost difference between the two, I would choose the FP30. I have a 2.5 cubic foot firebox in my ZC and on the coldest days, wish I had a 3.0+ size.

Depending on the cost difference between the two, I would choose the FP30. I have a 2.5 cubic foot firebox in my ZC and on the coldest days, wish I had a 3.0+ size.

That's my biggest hesitation. The 30 is about 3x the cost, but I don't want to get the 25 installed and then regret/wish for more heat.

For reference this is the space. The great room itself 25x18x18'6" tall, but completely open to the 2nd floor and foyer, making it considerably larger.
20240119_112618.jpg20240119_112600.jpg20240119_112530.jpg

When you remove it you’ll likely find that the chase wasn’t insulated. May not even have a draft stop above it. We see little shed type chases pretty often with ventilated soffits and no draft stop blocking it. Good move pulling it out of there.

When you remove it you’ll likely find that the chase wasn’t insulated. May not even have a draft stop above it. We see little shed type chases pretty often with ventilated soffits and no draft stop blocking it. Good move pulling it out of there.

It's almost guaranteed it's not insulated. No soffit venting and no drip edge either. Needs extended another 15' anyway.
Screenshot_20240119_125005_Gallery.jpg
The hearth stone was a bit cold the other morning. 20240117_073022.jpg

I'm not sure how cold things get in Virginia, and if your intention is to heat as much as possible. Bit judging by your pics of your beautiful home a fp30 would be my choice. Unfortunately a z/c isn't a simple swap out like a freestanding stove. All that work and being not satisfied with heat output would be worse than your current situation....just my .02 cents. We have a fp30 and it works great for us.

We still have to fight with some builders about insulating the chase. We end up doing it ourselves sometimes even.

That's my biggest hesitation. The 30 is about 3x the cost, but I don't want to get the 25 installed and then regret/wish for more heat.

For reference this is the space. The great room itself 25x18x18'6" tall, but completely open to the 2nd floor and foyer, making it considerably larger.
View attachment 323248View attachment 323249View attachment 323250
This is a very large house. If the fireplace will be mostly a nights and weekend burner then the FP25 will work. If the intent is to heat 24/7 go large with a N/S loading stove. Installing a fireplace is an expensive proposition. This space definitely warrants the additional size.

View attachment 323248View attachment 323249View attachment 323250
Big, beautiful space and beautiful Basset Hounds!!!!! I had one for 13 years. Boy he was a stubborn prick LOL

I would go with the FP30 for that space.

This is a very large house. If the fireplace will be mostly a nights and weekend burner then the FP25 will work. If the intent is to heat 24/7 go large with a N/S loading stove. Installing a fireplace is an expensive proposition. This space definitely warrants the additional size.

Ideally it would be 24/7 to cut back on propane usage.

SBI wood stove offer inserts @110,000btu with 3.5 c.f fire boxes in their Osburn, Enerzone and Drolet brands. I remember seeing a 120,000 btu unit as well but unfortunately do not remember the manufacture, easy enough to find via google.

Last edited: