FPX-33 Elite on Order

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TresK3

Jul 12, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
We just put in our order for an Xtrordinair FPX 33- Elite! They've set a tentative install date of Sept. 6th. I called around to the 3 stores within 100 miles that sells this insert for price quotes and we visited two of them. None of the stores liked the idea of a block-off plate at the bottom of the chimney. They all said that with the insulated liner and a block off at the top I don't need one at that bottom. Should I insist on this? If so, how much should I expect to pay? Since we are in Cincinnati, and winters are fairly mild, does that make a difference?

Also, most places wanted us to clean the chimney before they did the install. We just moved in last January and had the chimney cleaned then. The sweep said that it looked good at the time. We've only burned 3-4 times (if that) since then. Do we really need to shell out another $125 to clean it again?

Thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions on this project.

Travis Industries does not recommend the blocking plate, your installers don't recommend the blocking plate and the only place on planet Earth that I know of that you can't install that insert without one is Wrentham Ma.

But clean that chimney. Why spend those bucks for that insert and not know what is going to flake off of those chimney walls down on top of it and burn.

Well you'll have to show us some pics when the install is done! I really like that flush look.

BTW - if it was only 3 or 4 evening burns since the last cleaning than personally I'd save yourself the $125 and the "Sometime between 11 and 2" time slot. Congrad's and start stocking that firewood!

Thanks for the info. Had a couple of buddies over last weekend, cutting and splitting with me, so the firewood is starting to pile up. Some wood was here when we bought the place, so that's ready to go and what we split was from a dead beech. Some of it is still a bit damp, but I've got it piled in the little sunshiny spot we have. It may not take us through the winter, but it's a start.

I'll definitely post a picture to show-off, once everything is up and running.

Your gona luv that stove :p

Status
Not open for further replies.