1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

FPX/Avalon Large Flush Wood Hybrid, any input

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by hotjava66, Jul 30, 2012.

1. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Did any of you have the catalytic combustor probe installed on this unit? Wondering what impact the probe has on appearance. Would this work at providing stove top temp? Really like the look of the insert and am considering pulling the trigger sooner rather than later but many of the posts on here have me leery of a catalytic flush insert.

Manual for reference...page 32 discusses the probe.

http://www.fireplacex.com/TravisDocs/100-01273_000.pdf

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. hotjava66

hotjava66 New Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    I did not get the probe. Saw it in the manual though, and may add it later. My only concern is it really does not show what the indicator/display looks like or where it is mounted. Sure would be nice to see internal stove temp. I have not had any issues of over firing the stove but I do think sometimes I dial the air back too soon.
  3. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Yeah...I'm pretty sure I don't push my current insert enough and that's likely going to be the case with another one. Given what I've learned here, I'm not sure how it's possible really. Taking my wife to look at this one in person in the morning. Have two shops dueling on discounting right now so the price has improved. One has said it's as low as they will go which is about 400 bucks more than the other. Need to get into the finer details of install, but didn't get much/any feedback from another thread I started. Will also be looking at the Osburn Matrix tomorrow as well.
  4. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Pulled the trigger on this one today. Was planning on a new one this summer/fall, but with discounting, the price hit the sweet spot. Getting the liner insulated and and an insulated block off plate as part of the deal. Install next week sometime.
  5. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Good deal, dont forget pictures when its installed, I really like this unit but its just a bit too big to fit in my fireplace. You have plenty of dry wood? I know theres a lot of locust out your way.
  6. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Will do. I don't have enough wood for this year. I was hoping that a purchased cord from last year was going to be good to go this year, but it's not. I have about a 3/4 of a face cord of seasoned wood left and a a few cords of white ash that varies in MC from high teens to low/mid 20s (Cut in March, S/S in August). I've been mixing it in, but getting some big coals from it. It's not gunking up the flue though Actually think I might swap some of the wood on the wood from the driveway stack with the porch stack. Moved the wood to the porch too soon and it doesn't seem as dry as stuff that's been stacked in the open for a few more months this fall.. I'll probably split those smaller and make it work. Not burning as primary heat and will be off of oil completely on Jan 17th, so I'm not too concerned other than the fact that I love having fires going.

People talk about locust being abundant around here. I don't seem to be that fortunate. My land is predominately ash (many dead), maple (Norway, Sugar, Red, Silver), red oak, and many white pines. Most of the hardwoods are concentrated around my home or street, making many difficult to take down without tree services. I've also got a few cords of white willow that came down during Sandy. Probably go ahead and split whatever I can't convince people to come take away.

Hey...anyone in MA want to trade some seasoned wood for a wood boiler?
  7. cbarlage

cbarlage New Member

After using my insert for a year, I've gotten better at keeping the glass clear. The main things are to have dry wood, and when starting the fire, letting the door ajar to really heat up the box before closing the door and reducing the air via the damper. This tends to shorten the burn time, I can barely get an overnight bed of coals to re-stoke in the morning. I did add a grate to help keep the wood from falling into the glass, I cut some off the legs of an 18" grate and it works well. I wish the damper could let in more air to keep from having to mess with the door, and I also wish the fans would move more air with less noise. One last thing, it takes a long time for the fans to kick in, since the sensor is on the outside of the box behind the firebricks. Could use a second sensor on top to turn the fans on, and the current one to turn them off. Other than that, we really like the large viewing area and large firebox while still fitting flush into the fireplace.
  8. glenncz

glenncz New Member

I've had this box for well over a year and it has burned constantly during the winter. We don't worry about the glass anymore. It's too much trouble to worry about cleaning it. At times it cleans up, but soon enough it darkens again. I don't have a problem with starting morning burns. I keep a small box of splitting scraps and it's it almost out I throw those on first, but mostly I just use the smaller pieces, and crack open the door with the black extender thingy that came with it, and it will almost always start up in a few minutes. I'll clean it up next summer.

I wish the fan exhaust came out on the bottom, not the top, because we loose a lot of heat right up to the top of our 2 story ceiling, it's nice and warm up there. The big box is a HUGE HUGE plus. It can easily fit 24" logs and more. It burns for about 6 hours before reloading. It would be nice to have a freestanding insert, because I think this thing should be putting out more heat than it does, but that is not possible. The fan is a bit loud, but I don't have another one to compare it to. We usually leave it on high, but when watching TV we often turn it to half speed. Turning our ceiling fan on high speed instead of medium can add a degree of heat to 2 story family room.

Another issue is that we chose this model because it is flush with our brick. Good and bad. Aesthetically, very good. But I would think we are loosing quite a bit of heat production. But the fireplace is elevated about 16" above the floor with a 10" stone mantle lip in front. When this loads up with ash it can easily spill big coals out when opening the door, but we have the 10" mantle and then ceramiic tiled floor in front. But if this insert stuck out 8" we would lose that needed safety from ash spill.

I need to clean the ashes out about every 5 days. Another issue - when i set the ash can in front of the unit and shovel it into the bucket, we get quite a bit of ash dust in the house. So I place the bottom lip of the ash can on the bottom of the insert opening and tilt it the can opening into the fireplace, so when i shovel the ash mostly drifts backs into the fireplace. But it can get a little hot during this maneuver!
  9. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    First full season burning with it...and a very cold one at that. No major issue with glass. Simple wipe down with damp towel works. I'm not packing it full since my splits are all 16 inches. Planning on some faceplate modifications since I got the one without slots to let the air our freely. It heats a very large open floor plan and upstairs quite well. It does take a while for the blower to kick on, but mine is on an exterior chimney so it takes a bit longer to get up to temp. Not even remotely packing it, I get 5-6 hrs of food heat. Only legit complaint is the blower...at lower speeds it rattles. Think I read a fix on here, so might work on that in the off season. I use a lot less wood and get more heat for long periods than my other insert
  10. prezes13

prezes13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Just want to put my 2 cents on the blackening glass. I have my cape cod insert for two years, last year every over night burn = black glass. Reasons? Wet wood and too low temprature. This year I run her a bit hotter and since my wood is not the greatest I throw two Eco Bricks with every load. Now my glass stays clean, stove throws much more heat, having a longer burns (avarege 5-8 hrs), before 3 tops and I have a feeling that I should push her a bit harder. My conclusion so far is need a DRY wood, run it HOT.