FPX owners...another question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambiance

Jan 30, 2012
Central Idaho
Several owners that responded to my first post said that they lived in cold climates and also talked about how well the POS worked. How do you have POS with the blower on an internal wall or am I missing something?

I dont .... the blower pulls in air from the outside in my set up.

Where to install the blower was a big design question for me. After a lot of research and thought, I decided to install it directly below my unit, in the basement. I decided I didn't want outside air being drawn in, because it isn't unusual for that outside air to be zero degrees or colder. It draws basement air. My basement is not 100% airtight, so, I'm sure the operation of my blower is causing more air infiltration than I had before it was installed. Sometimes, when I am going from a stone-cold house and want to speed things along, I open the interior door leading from my living area to the basement. Then, cool, house air rushes down the stairs into the basement to make up for air being drawn into my fireplace by the blower. After the house is warm, I shut the door.

There was some question regarding code compliance, and the main issue being raised was sufficient combustion air for other appliances in the basement (gas water heater, gas furnace, and gas clothes drier). My local code enforcement officer wouldn't sign off on this installation without a written OK from the factory. My dealer got in touch with Travis, and they supplied the required written document!! What a company!

-Speak

Ambiance said:
Several owners that responded to my first post said that they lived in cold climates and also talked about how well the POS worked. How do you have POS with the blower on an internal wall or am I missing something?

Mine is on an external wall, on a daylight basement. The blower fan is quite audible in the basement, not really audible near the stove (on the main floor). Make sure you have an "off" switch near the stove because if you let the fire die and leave the blower going, you can get quite a long period of cold air blown in before the thermostat finally cuts it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.