FPX42 Apex Burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mooch

Jan 23, 2019
Jm
I have a fireplace xtradinar apex 42. My question is burn times and heat output. On a full load of dry hardwood I get the cat temp up to around 800° with damper closed and air regulator fully open. And then I slowly start backing the air down to about 40% open. And cat Temps will come down to 600° and only put out good heat for about 3-4.5 hours then it's not really heating much. Only a small spot where the flame is almost touching the cat is red nothing else. Unit is 3yrs old and I regularly clean the cat. Woods I've used are red oak, walnut, ash, hedge and mulberry. All 25% moisture or less on a fresh split.
Picture is after 2.5 hrs after a full load

20240120_095307.jpg

Do you know how many hours on the cat? How has the fireplace been used, 24/7 for 5 months of the year or more like nights and weekends?

calling @webby3650, Apex at the front desk.

Reactions: webby3650
We run 1 fire during the week and 2 on weekends. Northern Illinois. So we start burning in late September and go to March. Cat has no cracks or broken parts. I clean it with air. And I've checked the door seal with a piece of paper and it's good

Does your home require a lot to heat it? How many square feet?
I’m heating a single level well insulated home. 1900 square feet. We aren’t able to use it unless it’s below freezing because it’s just too much heat. I get 8 hours easily on a load of wood. I can tell you that it requires well seasoned wood. It makes a huge difference, more than other epa stoves I’ve had. 800 on the cat probe isn’t very hot either. It’s hard to keep it from hitting 1200 on a normal firing for me.

Does your home require a lot to heat it? How many square feet?
I’m heating a single level well insulated home. 1900 square feet. We aren’t able to use it unless it’s below freezing because it’s just too much heat. I get 8 hours easily on a load of wood. I can tell you that it requires well seasoned wood. It makes a huge difference, more than other epa stoves I’ve had. 800 on the cat probe isn’t very hot either. It’s hard to keep it from hitting 1200 on a normal firing for me.
My home is 2 story somewhat open. 2400sq ft. It never heats us out. Even when temps are in the upper 30s. I know most of my wood is seasoned. The walnut is around 18% Mc.

I don’t know how you could possibly be struggling. You have an outside air correct? Is the area behind the fireplace insulated for sure? It’s often overlooked by the builder.

I don’t know how you could possibly be struggling. You have an outside air correct? Is the area behind the fireplace insulated for sure? It’s often overlooked by the builder.
Yes to outside air. And yes the whole chase cavity is insulated. I'm a union carpenter and worked with fireplace installer and helped in the installation. Maybe a dumb question but can the cat be installed backwards after I clean it? It looks the same, front to back.

In fact the insulation was held in place with chicken wire.

Yes to outside air. And yes the whole chase cavity is insulated. I'm a union carpenter and worked with fireplace installer and helped in the installation. Maybe a dumb question but can the cat be installed backwards after I clean it? It looks the same, front to back.
No. Did you replace the gasket before you reinstalled it?

It’s a one time use gasket. I’m not sure how much of a difference it makes.
I see you were real happy with it earlier on. I’d put money on the wood being the difference. I don’t need full output from it, so I don’t mind, but there is a Huge difference in the performance with slightly wetter wood.

It’s a one time use gasket. I’m not sure how much of a difference it makes.
I see you were real happy with it earlier on. I’d put money on the wood being the difference. I don’t need full output from it, so I don’t mind, but there is a Huge difference in the performance with slightly wetter wood.
Yes at first I had a good stash of ash. I feel I need to work on my Mc and try to get it down around 15%. Hopefully in a few years I'll have it dialed in. Thanks for all your information.

Did you get the green start? It’s bad to the bone!