Franklin Cast Products - Manuals and Testing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spruce

Hearth Supporter
We built a small cabin and have a hand-me-down wood burning stove. Franklin Cast Products "Erik" 809. The local building inspector wants a copy that the stove has been through its original testing. I am guessing something comparable to an UL rating for wood burning stoves. I understand that this company is out of business. I was wondering if anyone has the manuals and testing information. Looking on the web I am finding nothing except the company is out of business.

We have all new fire bricks, stove pipe and triple wall near the ceiling and out the roof.

Had the same stove last year. There should be a heat shield on the back of the stove. Remove the shield and the UL rating and serial numbers are on the left side looking at the back of the stove assuming the label is still there and readable. If I'm remembering correctly the stove was made in Asia as an unauthorized copy of another stove. Franklin cast products was sued as a result they went out of business. If you haven't had it done yet I would strongly suggest having the stove checked out by a professional. I didn't have mine checked out and after a few days of burning I stoked the stove for an overnight burn, turned the lights out to head up to bed, and noticed fire coming through all the seams of the stove. After trying to repair it myself (which didn't go very well) I was unable to locate the proper parts due to its age and who knows what else. It was a blessing in disguise. I'm much happier with the new stove and it burns a lot better and longer.

Thank you very much for the information. When we are at our cabin I will take the heat sheild off and check. I will post the information out here so someone in the future can view it. We have used the stove and it is good shape. We did replace the fire bricks, stack and seal around the doors. Again I appreciate the information!

Status
Not open for further replies.