Franklin Stove Firebox Pocket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobY

Dec 4, 2009
If some one could help I would appreciate it.

We have an Atlanta Stove Works Franklin Stove Model 28. What is the proper use of the Pocket at the bottom of the Fire Box? We are getting conflicting answers. We were under the impression that the pocket was to be filled with sand. When we use a Basket for the wood, with sand in the pocket, there does not seem to be much room at the bottom of the Basket and coals build up and Burn the Basket out. (I understand that we could keep a close eye on the build up of Coals and remove them). We currently do not use a basket or a grate.

Thank you for any help

Bob

Welcome to the site!!

I'm thinking that if you are burning coal in the basket, then you fill the pit with sand as you won't generate as much ash.
If you are burning wood, then take the sand out of the pit and burn the wood on a grate. That set up will provide more air flow and give you more "ash" room at the bottom of the firebox.
Some pics would help in seeing what you are dealing with.

Thank you for the quick reply. Now that makes perfect sense. I feel more comfortable in using the Basket.

Thanks Again

Status
Not open for further replies.