Free 8 foot oak pallets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornflakes

Burning Hunk
Sep 19, 2014
Maryland
The guy claims they are all oak pallets, 4x8, kiln dried HT stamp. They aren't too far away... A few miles up the highway near our local airport. If they are nice and solid I may rent a truck and get a bunch, especially if they are heavy oak pallets. The pic he sent me makes me think they are pine though...

image.jpg

There may be some pine in there but they appear to be mostly oak buty eyes haven't been checked in years

There may be some pine in there but they appear to be mostly oak buty eyes haven't been checked in years

You think they are oak? I'll find out later on after I get my emissions testing done. Waiting for the wife to get home.

If they are oak, am I an idiot for thinking about renting a uhaul and horsing up a bunch of those?

You think they are oak? I'll find out later on after I get my emissions testing done. Waiting for the wife to get home.

If they are oak, am I an idiot for thinking about renting a uhaul and horsing up a bunch of those?

Naw I wouldn't think so. Those are nice looking pallets

Just lift one you will know if its oak!
They pay $$ for those out here

Those are well worth renting a trailer in either case. The only difference with oak is that they are a lot heavier and they will last longer. If they are softwood, why not double them up when you stack wood on and they will easily last as long as oak that way.

Wish I was closer so I could grab them. They're worth $$.

At 4x8 I'll guess they are 40-50lbs each, even if pine, making the middle stack in the pic about a ton and a good number of BTU's. I'd call in a favor and borrow a friends trailer, get a stack regardless of what they are. If they were oak or maple, I'd kill a day for a bunch of trips.

My normal routine... Cut tree, buck, haul, cut to length, stack, wait til the pile is big, split, stack, dry, move under roof.

With 'infinite pallets' it would be haul, cut, stack under roof.

BTU's are BTU's and I'll put in the time to get them.

A decent sized u-hail might run $100 for a day and with a helper, you might be able to take the whole lot!

Last time I rented a Uhaul trailer, it was $30/day. That means you've got a car that will pull it with a hitch.

They look to me like your standard pine pallet from the pics. They will burn, but quick. If you plan to just cut them up to burn them watch for nails, sometimes you can't see all of them, they get crazy with a nail gun building those things.

They are oak, albiet not super industrial crazy heavy pallets. Once I get home I'm gonna call uhaul and make a billion trips. I may just heat on pallets again this year.

Ladies and gentlemen... I give you ninety eight foot oak pallets.

I'm effing tired. Been up since 4am..... I'm an idiot.

Comes out to $1.09 per pallet with my uhaul rental and the gas I had to put in the tank.

Edit - loading and unloading a truck full of oak pallets, twice, sucks..... When you're already exhausted....

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beats waiting for green wood to season. 1 days work then cut & burn.

Idk - some of them were pretty wet. I've gotten pallets from work before that were completely saturated and could not be burned that year. Hopefully these were just wet because it just rained and they are dry on the inside.

Last edited:
You could build a maze for Halloween. ;lol;lol

Reactions: Cornflakes
Ladies and gentlemen... I give you ninety eight foot oak pallets.

I'm effing tired. Been up since 4am..... I'm an idiot.

Comes out to $1.09 per pallet with my uhaul rental and the gas I had to put in the tank.

Edit - loading and unloading a truck full of oak pallets, twice, sucks..... When you're already exhausted....

View attachment 161551

What did next door think was going on ?

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.