Free Black Locust rounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PDXpyro

Burning Hunk
Oct 10, 2013
NW Oregon
*Groan* got a tip on some BL rounds today and grabbed a couple of pickup loads, about 1/2 cord total. Boy, is that stuff heavy! Since it's black locust and I'm running out of stack room, I'm gonna leave it in rounds through the winter and split/stack properly around February. Really need to develop a ramp system to load those into the truck, though: we just got a "new" pickup, and it's the first really appropriate firewood-haulin' vehicle I've had in years... at this rate it's going to kill my back quickly, though.

You could always split it before you load it with mike and Ike.

You could always split it before you load it with mike and Ike.
Sure, I thought about at least halving some of the rounds, but on the theory that BL wouldn't deteriorate thru the winter and stack space is limited, it'd be better to leave the rounds intact for a few months. Mebbe that opinion will be revised next time...

I was only saying split it before loading to cut the risk of injuring your back. Some back injuries last a lifetime.
There may be folks on this site that would attest to it. A little sledge and wedging is better then a life of back pain.
I'm not trying to give you a wedgie just trying to be of help if I may.
I think the sooner you get it split the better and faster it will season.
I don't know what you mean exactly about deteriorate through winter but I think any wood that's not already rotten will make it easily through winter, spring ,summer, and fall.[/quote]

After wrestling a few truck loads of some huge oak rounds I built a ramp system with 2 x 12s and a ramp kit for $50, my back appreciates it.

I was only saying split it before loading to cut the risk of injuring your back. Some back injuries last a lifetime.
There may be folks on this site that would attest to it. A little sledge and wedging is better then a life of back pain.
I'm not trying to give you a wedgie just trying to be of help if I may.
I think the sooner you get it split the better and faster it will season.
I don't know what you mean exactly about deteriorate through winter but I think any wood that's not already rotten will make it easily through winter, spring ,summer, and fall.
[/quote]
Bigdaddy, I was referring to black locust's reputation as being rot-resistant and lasting for years in whatever form it's in: logs, rounds or splits. I figured that rounds would be simpler to store for a few months, and easier to move around as needed, since I'm not prepared to stack it right now and having the wood in larger, roll-able "packages" would be an advantage for the moment.

Bigdaddy, I was referring to black locust's reputation as being rot-resistant and lasting for years in whatever form it's in: logs, rounds or splits. I figured that rounds would be simpler to store for a few months, and easier to move around as needed, since I'm not prepared to stack it right now and having the wood in larger, roll-able "packages" would be an advantage for the moment.[/quote]

Oh I see.

*Groan* got a tip on some BL rounds today and grabbed a couple of pickup loads, about 1/2 cord total. Boy, is that stuff heavy! Since it's black locust and I'm running out of stack room, I'm gonna leave it in rounds through the winter and split/stack properly around February. Really need to develop a ramp system to load those into the truck, though: we just got a "new" pickup, and it's the first really appropriate firewood-haulin' vehicle I've had in years... at this rate it's going to kill my back quickly, though.

Pick ups are really not suitable for big rounds. Get a small trailer with a fold down gate. Nice to roll them puppies up.

Reactions: Standingdead
Big rounds are just a lot of work to deal with. At least it's BL. Nice reward in a few years.

The good news is that BL is about 4 parts water to 10 parts wood, while other hardwoods are more like 7-10 parts water to 10 parts wood. So you're lifting and hauling only half as much water per unit of fuel.

From here on out I cut an X in the rounds (or would that be a "+"?), halve and quarter (maul and wedge), and then load. Was pleasantly surprised to discover they they easily stacked high enough to have a smaller footprint than anything I could have accomplished alone with the rounds.

I always halve, quarter, or even eight rounds before I try to lift them onto my truck. My old flatbed was nearly 4' high, I had no choice. I also figure that any splitting gets the seasoning started that much sooner.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Status
Not open for further replies.