Free Firewood Day cancelled

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Duck

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2009
Central PA
I thought the ice storm was going to mean today was Free Firewood Day, the best day of the year for scrounging firewood right off of everyones driveway. At least in the State College, PA area, it doesn't seem to be Free Firewood Day. We got only 1/4 or so of ice here, and the trees all seem pretty much intact. The upside is that the power is still on here, which probably means it is on throughout this area. The ice is already melting here.

Our trees were thawing early this morning. It was a sound our puppy had not heard yet and got her excited. I'm glad the ice was minimal and I can wait for better weather and ground conditions to go get my free wood sometime next month.
But, appears everything will freeze over tonight...should be fun getting out of our 1/4mile long lane to the paved road in the morning. Phil didn't see his shadow so I'm holding him to the early spring prediction.

No major damage here either. Lost power twice yesterday 3:30-4:40 and 5:00-6:35 but after that it was just a few flickers here and there.

Bet you have another round coming 53 mph winds last night and headed east....Roads have atleast 2 inchs of ice on them. The high winds seem to have dryed up alot of the ice on the tree's but there is plunty out there to cut.

The storm was a bit of a dud here, too. I woke up to 42 degree temperatures and only a layer of ice on my driveway...roads were fine, nothing on the trees. I'm glad my three remaining giant Silvers are still upright, but I can't help but feel a bit let down!

I'm in the southeast, and I was surprised that there was no snow from this storm. We've had so many snows, more than I can remember since I've lived in Nashville this year. Good luck to everyone up north, especially Chicago!

I got a 20" x 9 foot section of oak, five oak branches all 5"+ in dia, a bunch of locust and pine limbs. Should be a good start.

If the trees lost branches here, then I can't tell because they are buried under about 30 feet of snow (give or take 28.5ft)

Had to abort a trip down a back road today for a 30 inch dbh Red Oak. Going to try and play politics tomorrow and see what I can get out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.