1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Free firewood score, how to get it out ??

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by HDRock, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I cut some dead elm up on the farm today. All the bark was gone. Brought it home, it's probably in the 10-12% range as well.....bone friggin dry. Threw a couple splits in the fireplace and WOW is that room ever hot now! Secondaries are rockin' blue flames, good stuff!

Sometimes the wood is ready to go as soon as you get it home.....BUT that's an exception rather than the rule....

Moisture meters are a great tool to double check, you don't want smoldering wet wood in that stove. That leads to chimney troubles....
    Backwoods Savage likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Try this

Attached Files:

3. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Yup, don't want smoldering wet wood in the stove, so I'm checking as I split, and stacking accordingly, cuz some is 30-37%. most is 18-25 , and if it's 25% 12 hours stacked in the house ,and it's good to go.

I still have a face cord of the bone dry elm I got , MAN what a PITA to split.
    I'm guessing your Swisher didn't have any problem splitin that elm
  4. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Here is the wood pile
    DSCI0433.JPG DSCI0432.JPG

Here I'm gettin started splitin, on a little break right now, then I'll get a little light out there , go back and take advantage of the 33 degree temp we have right now [/ATTACH] DSCI0434.JPG
    Pallet Pete and ScotO like this.
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

actually it was only 12" diameter tree, so they went into the NZ3000 whole! lol...
  6. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Really ?? you put 12" diameter in your stove to burn ?
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I have a smoke dragon , but I had thought ! I knew what I was doing, till I came on this forum and found ,
    I didn't know half what the hell I was doing ;lol
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I won't put rounds that big in the stove in the kitchen, but I will put some in the fireplace (from time to time). I like the look of that log burning in the fireplace, plus it lasts a long, long time in there (it's an EPA ZC fireplace), and putting small splits in that thing will cook you out of the room, because that room is sealed off from the house right now due to a living room renovation. So I'll put big ones in there for now.....until the wall is removed and that room is connected to the house, anyway!
  8. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Ya , I herd about your renovation, I hope everything goes smoothly for ya with that:)
  9. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

How long do you think that wood we cut will last in your smoke dragon HD ?

Pete
  10. wishlist

wishlist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Corunna, Michigan
    Ed, I'm really impressed. Your not wasting any time! That was some good wood and I bet the ol smoke dragon will like it as well!
  11. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    I really don't know , I burned maybe 3/4 of a cord since it got chilly, at end of September.
    The past few days when it was in the teens at night, I burned a stack 16" square, by about 18 to 24" high for 24 hours.
    How much wood is in that pile , IDK , some of U guys would be better at taking a guess at that.
    So, whats your guess , Edit: ,how much wood is in the wood pile????
    In the pic above , the stack the tire is leaning on is part of the maple, I cut from that other wood lot , to wet to burn. I have been able to burn some though
  12. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Thanks wishlist
    Can't wast time , I need wood to burn, temps for the next 9 days at night are ,10 to 19, It's NOT shoulder season any more ;lol
    If I have to throw the wood down in the basement and stack it ,to help it dry, that's what I'll do.

Ya and ,Can't wast time cuz the dragon is hungry ;lol
  13. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

About 1/4 face cord I'd say from the sound of it. Is that a night ?

Pete
  14. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Naw , about 1/8 of a face cord ,for 24 hours, The stove goes out at night , then it's about 62 degrees in the morn, that saves a little wood.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR, now I will have me a 40oz :)
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  15. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Ya maybe I am drinking to much tonight !

Pete
  16. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Well, once I get started, I may not stop at one ;lol
    Drink it if U got it, smoke if U want :)
  17. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Splittin this stuff up is takin longer than I thought it would, but I have to check MC every time I bust one open , and I am splitting smaller than I normally would, so it will dry quicker, in stove room, But It's gettin done==c