free, hundreds of oak logs in NNJ

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a deal if you can cut onsite. Most firewood cutters don't have the equip to haul off in log length.

Reactions: ScotO
Trouble for him is that in this area you can get wood delivered free, log length or cut to order. The tree guys have to pay to dispose of logs. I doubt he gets a taker unless there are some good saw logs in it that someone can haul to a far away mill.

Trouble for him is that in this area you can get wood delivered free, log length or cut to order. The tree guys have to pay to dispose of logs. I doubt he gets a taker unless there are some good saw logs in it that someone can haul to a far away mill.
i am almost 2 hours west up against the delaware and that is not the case here. lot more people burning here. all natural gas lines as you get close to the city so its not worth it for anybody there. plenty of yard cut trees and storm damaged to go around though.

deliver it or forget it

You jersey guys are spoiled rotten!

Wow... tree service guys here also have to pay for disposing of wood. Generally they just post an ad for free wood and the scrounges show up in droves and the wood is all gone in a few hours. Similar to wood chips, they run ads for free wood chips, and people get on a list for being dump sites. I get chips dumped here to keep the mud down on my property.

On the left coast, things be different.

Wow... tree service guys here also have to pay for disposing of wood. Generally they just post an ad for free wood and the scrounges show up in droves and the wood is all gone in a few hours. Similar to wood chips, they run ads for free wood chips, and people get on a list for being dump sites. I get chips dumped here to keep the mud down on my property.

On the left coast, things be different.
Yup and it's the same on the right coast! No free ride here..

Yes not much free wood here unless you like white pine.. I did score some good red oak this past winter though :)

Ray

White pine, eastern or western is not worth it. On my list of wood to not bother with. As is Tree of Heaven, Cottonwood/poplar, and willow.

Well, at least I know I am not in the land of the deprived, and the east coast is not really swimming in free home delivered premium hardwood logs. I was thinking for a minute there that I could move back east with my chainsaws and retire in front of a fireplace, whilst the minions drop log load after log load of free fuel on my property.

So its just some isolated areas in NJ with all these free/free and delivered logs?
Within an hour or ninety minutes of NYC i would say. And not necessarily just the suburbs. Perhaps partly because life is too busy for collecting and processing wood but i think the main reason is that natural gas lines are run to nearly every house. As you start going west or north it gets quite rocky and they wont dig to run lines. To the south houses become more spread out but there are more and more people continually switching over to gas.

NG is cheap and in the towns and cities here too. The rural areas do not have it, and we do not have local fracking or localized NG wells here either.

Wood is like gold here. Pellets are cheaper though, $200 a ton for Doug fir. Not that many pellet burners here though.

Within an hour or ninety minutes of NYC i would say. And not necessarily just the suburbs. Perhaps partly because life is too busy for collecting and processing wood but i think the main reason is that natural gas lines are run to nearly every house. As you start going west or north it gets quite rocky and they wont dig to run lines. To the south houses become more spread out but there are more and more people continually switching over to gas.

You probably could see the Empire State Building if you climbed the tallest one of those trees before it was cut down. There are very few people who heat with wood around here, there is just no demand for it.

Shame to see a lot of wood go to waste.
Be fun to go & cut on the piles for a couple days.
Make a dent in it & get some good wood.

Reactions: raybonz
You jersey guys are spoiled rotten!
Not all Jersey guys!! I burn about 4 - 5 cords a season. I've scrounged, hauled, c/s/s each one of those cords.
I'm in North West New Jersey. Lots of burners here, and no one begs you to take logs off their hands.
Wish they did.

Regards / Mike

Reactions: raybonz
Status
Not open for further replies.