Craigslist ad said oak. I am not sure.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

morningwood187

Nov 22, 2023
Oregon
I responded to a craigslist ad for "free oak and other wood". You cut.
There were two types of "oak" there. The first looked and smelled like standard oak I'm used to. The second type of oak smells a bit oaky, but doesn't look like anything I've seen in my area.

Does anyone have any idea what this is? Is it actually oak? I hope so, because I got three full sized truckloads and small trailer full loads of it.
Oregon / Portland area.
PXL_20231025_002555402.jpg
PXL_20231027_020856225.jpg
PXL_20231027_020908529.jpg
PXL_20231027_020928008.jpg
PXL_20231028_201617960.MP.jpg

Reactions: qwee
Dang you got a lot, Nice.
The end and split piece sure look like they could be oak. The bark i don't know about that?
Either way i bet it's good burning when seasoned.

Image 2 had medullary rays that look consistent with a red/black oak in the upper right of the image...If that is in fact a piece from the unidentified stuff.

Some of the rounds in the last picture look different though.

Does the last picture include both wood you believe to be oak, and then wood from another tree that you're unsure about?

cadyfatcat, there are some pieces of wood in the last picture in my OP that are doug fir, beech and the other oak. I included that pic mainly as a brag. Or admitting a mistake if people told me it wasn't oak!

The pictures I've attached to this post are the same "mystery oak". I've been drying these on my woodstove for ~16 days to see what they look like when they aren't soaking wet. They are looking a bit more oak.

PXL_20231123_053936426.jpg
PXL_20231123_053954547.jpg

Reactions: cadyfatcat
The second photo has some nice clear Ray Fleck.
Red Oak

Yup Oak.

I can smell the vinegar and cat piss from here. Feel free to drop it at my house!

Is it just me or does fresh cut and split red oak smell like cat piss?

Is it just me or does fresh cut and split red oak smell like cat piss?
Nope, not just you. I said the same thing the post above lol. It will linger for 1-2 years after being stacked, too. I get a big old whiff every time I drive by the stacks mowing the lawn on a hot summer day.

Reactions: D8Chumley
LMAO missed your post somehow. But yea. last time I cut some 4 or 5 years ago smelled for like 2 years. lol

The red oak I’ve encountered has always had a pleasant dark fruity smell, at least when fresh and the tree was healthy.