What is this tool?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FanMan

Feeling the Heat
Mar 4, 2012
CT stix & upstate NY
I was working on some brickwork behind my wood stove (which was in the cabin before we moved in), and found this. Can't quite figure out what it is... from the insulated handle it looks like it's expected to get hot. Doesn't look like any poker I've ever seen, and it doesn't match anything on the [I'm guessing] 1970s era stove. It looks like it could be useful for breaking up clinkers in the coal stove I installed in the other room, though.

1697423087307.png

it looks a lot like the tool we used to have to open and close the bypass damper on our Lopi Revere Insert. The bypass damper was located right at the bottom of the flue and slid open and closed with a little looped handle above the stove top. Since that handle could get hot quickly, we had a tool to accomplish that. Does that sound like anything your stove has?

it looks a lot like the tool we used to have to open and close the bypass damper on our Lopi Revere Insert. The bypass damper was located right at the bottom of the flue and slid open and closed with a little looped handle above the stove top. Since that handle could get hot quickly, we had a tool to accomplish that. Does that sound like anything your stove has?
Not on this stove... it has an intake air control that's just a sliding plate with a tab to push on, and a flue damper just above the stove top that has a knurled knob and four notches. The stove did have some weird chainmail curtains inside the glass doors which I removed. I gather they were a screen so you could burn with the glass doors open, but I removed them as opening the doors just puts smoke in the room. Maybe it was a device to open or close the curtains, but it doesn't match the style of the rest of the stove.

1697425052110.png

Looks like the "poking" stick that came with my Burnham Wood Boiler, the wood sits down in a pit and I need to move things around occasionally and it works.