free locust c/s/s with 22 ton huskee

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimosufan

Aug 16, 2010
Dayton, OH
Here's the latest splitting and stacking. Like the new splitter. Also have already changed the engine oil in the huskee. The wife took the pictures. Being stingy on the second row I figure 1.5 cords total. not a bad score if you ask me. Still have the silver maple to do.

Attachments

• Baby Robins 012 (640x427).jpg
    Baby Robins 012 (640x427).jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 575
  • Baby Robins 011 (640x427).jpg
    Baby Robins 011 (640x427).jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 578
  • Baby Robins 010 (640x427).jpg
    Baby Robins 010 (640x427).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 566
Is that honey locust?

yes thornless, Hope its as good with the one with thorns. Never had the pleasure of burning any. It's only my second year burning. first year was 98% ash.

If you have a moisture meter entertain us and give us a reading.

Now I gotta admit you had me going with your subject title..."free locust c/s/s with 22 ton huskee".

I thought you'd done snagged some free locust that was cut split and stacked for you *and* a free 22 ton huskee splitter!!! Now THAT would've been a score!!!! :lol:

Ed

jimosufan said:
Here's the latest splitting and stacking. Like the new splitter. Also have already changed the engine oil in the huskee. The wife took the pictures. Being stingy on the second row I figure 1.5 cords total. not a bad score if you ask me. Still have the silver maple to do.

Nice score jimosufan, the stacking looks GREAT!

Zap

Gzecc the meter says high only fell a little over a week ago. Ed if it was all free I go to the local pub and buy a round or two, not to mention not normally that lucky. Thanks Zap I have a long way to go, I hear as the years go by, the splits find their own way to the their proper place in the sack. Hope this true.

jimosufan said:
yes thornless, Hope its as good with the one with thorns. Never had the pleasure of burning any. It's only my second year burning. first year was 98% ash.

There's no difference in the density,color,strength etc of the wood from thornless vs. ones with thorns.Except thorns everything about the tree is the same.20 yrs I cut down a thornless one in owner's yard 1/4 mile up the road from parents acreage.Had been hit pretty bad by early March ice storm.It was one of the early thornless hybrids,about 30yrs old at the time.

Great stuff,next to Hickory in my book,bit more than White Oak,bit less than Black Locust or Osage.

Nice stacks, though it pains me to see them where they could kill the grass (I'm a lawn guy). :)

Thistle what kind of smell should I expect when burning?

Chocolab, I'm not killing it I'm only shading it from the hot summer. LOL

Is that stacked wood I see in the background too?

That locust is a great start. You can definetly use it this coming season. Now you need to get some average wood for the following year. Stack up now!

jimosufan said:

I havent burned any HL in 2-3 yrs at least,but I dont recall anything bad.Kinda non-descript I guess you'd say,smell wise.Not really noticeable like the various fruitwoods or hickory.

Excellent job Jim.

Loco, I've got close to 4 cords in the backyard it contains ash, apple, hickory, elm and some black locust I think. Still new to all the different woods, some of the hickory might be silver maple smells like hickory but it super light. Time will tell..

thanks Dennis

either my mind is playing tricks on me, but it sure seems my backyard stacks are shrinking. Very possible with the VERY wet spring we had. Makes me happy to see things drying out.

Jim, most folks are surprised at how much shrinkage there is over the first summer. One more reason that wood sellers short folks. Measure a cord of fresh cut wood vs a cord of dry wood and it takes more dry wood to make a cord.

Well i got 90% of the silver maple split and stacked. Should have pics soon and over all cord count, wood that I have.

Good for you Jim. I hate splitting and stacking wood this time of the year and my hat is off to all that do it in the summer. You are better men than I.

Ok here are the pics of all the wood I have. My math says 6.32 cords. It dose not include uglies or the 6 rounds of silver maple left to split (18"). So I'll round up makes me feel better at 6.5 cords. Plus another .5 cord that already been cut and split its free. Most of this wood was free until I bought the new Huskee!! Well you got to start somewhere. The last picture is the silver maple c/s/s hope its good for fall. As most of the other wood is better suited for winter.

Attachments

• GEDC2262 (640x480).jpg
    GEDC2262 (640x480).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 149
  • GEDC2261 (640x480).jpg
    GEDC2261 (640x480).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 160
  • GEDC2260 (640x480).jpg
    GEDC2260 (640x480).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 164
  • GEDC2263 (640x480).jpg
    GEDC2263 (640x480).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 150
Backwoods Savage said:
Good for you Jim. I hate splitting and stacking wood this time of the year and my hat is off to all that do it in the summer. You are better men than I.
Thanks Dennis, seems like free wood is drying up. so I'll be able to catch a break. I hope i did this right sorry if not. Still figuring thing out on this site

Jim, that should work out great stacking along the fence.

Thistle said:
jimosufan said:

I havent burned any HL in 2-3 yrs at least,but I dont recall anything bad.Kinda non-descript I guess you'd say,smell wise.Not really noticeable like the various fruitwoods or hickory.

It is a mellow smoke.

The wood looks great, but honestly did you have to fill up the kids' sandbox with splits?

Status
Not open for further replies.