Free Maples

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA Fire Bug

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2010
Blair County, PA
A good friend from a farm back our road cut down a couple of maple trees and said that I could look at the wood and decide if I wanted it. I told him that I was sure that I would want it. He said that the trees are silver maples. I got a good start on the job and am looking forward to hauling this wood home. Two years ago, I hauled five or six pick of loads of wood from the same farm after the power company dropped two very large trees. I don't know what kind of trees they were. The bark was thick and stayed wet but the wood burnt really well this past winter. We burnt it for weeks and I still have more for next winter.

What looks like mud is mostly left over corn silage from a trench that they had in the same area last year. Fortunately, it's not manure but rotten silage can smell just as bad.
maple.jpg
The plywood and 2x4s are from a tree house that the farm boys built. Fortunately, they didn't put many nails or screws into the tree and I was able to avoid them with my saw.
maple2.jpg
They were able to dig out the stumps. They flipped them upside down. I think the large stump on the right was from one of the trees that the power company dropped two years ago. My Civic looks a bit out of place on the farm. : )
stumps.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
How many cords can you carry in the Civic? :)

Maple is good. Gonna be heavy wood this time of the year.
Should split easy now.
Have fun, bring something other than a Civic to haul it in. LOL :)

Looks like good wood to me. As for the silage, it is something you get used to and I never thought it was bad....except for that one time. Boy that stuff was bad and I had to get into the silo to clean it out. This is one of those jobs you are sort of forced to work fast just to get it done and get out of there.

Status
Not open for further replies.