Free Mill Cut Offs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr2autoxr

Nov 1, 2008
Dexter, MI
I'm debating if this is worth the drive (1 hr each way) to go get 6 bundles of cut offs on my trailer.

Each bundle is 16' by 3' or so. Ad says rips are 1/2" to 1/8". I assume this could be enough kindling for me for a lifetime, but could I use them to fill gaps when the stove is filled with larger logs as well?

Or is this just too much work for the little bit of heat I'd get out of them?

Thanks,

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/zip/5788757418.html

They can't sell those to the guys who mark parking lots boundaries/curbs for contract snow plowing ?

I could use those in the garden all day long. For me to much work for firewood

Great Kindling.

Wood :))) be awesome for making biochar and charcoal. That stuff is just about perfect for a large biochar manufacturer.

A lot of those rips look to be on the larger side. I'd be tempted if I had spare time.

Reactions: begreen
Its also perfect to pellet mill feedstock.

I used strips like that for accent strips on a cedar strip canoe. I scored some mahogany from a investment office rehab.

debating if this is worth the drive (1 hr each way) to go get 6 bundles of cut offs
Don't view it as BTUs/ mile traveled, rather a great source of kindling making for easy, convenient lay-up of fire. Perhaps find another reason (excuse) to make the trip worthwhile.
Mill ripping make for great kindling. I got some locally generated mill rippings from a Wood-Mizer that were left at the cutting site (free). They dry quickly and since their edges are squared they stack efficiently into a box. They make for quick lay-up of fires in shoulder season when you're not burning 24/7.

Cut them en masse with chain saw. Consider making a quick and cheap sawbuck to cut them to length. HDRock had a good sawbuck made from pallet stock https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/sawbuck-plans.111815/#post-1485154.

Status
Not open for further replies.