1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Free Pine and Maple

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Pepp31, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    You can impress everyone with the huge armload of pine you can carry in.

You'll be doing that twice as often, too.

I've burned eastern white pine and cedar.
    I let oak and pine season two years to be safe, so I know not about creosote.

I'll burn pine , but I've also left it behind in favor of the oak and cherry..

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    It's easy. I get pine delivered to my house. See someone cutting down pine. Ask them if they are taking it to the dump(most are). Offer to let them dump it in your yard for free(the dump charges $120 per ton). Actualy, I get about half or more of my wood from the dump. For Free.
  3. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    I'm on that game...came home with a cord of locust from the city mulch pile tonight. Unfortunately, I couldn't lift the big ones and didn't have a maul in my truck. There is at least another cord there if someone is inclined to go through the pile tonight. Looks like more locust and maple. The payloader will make it disappear first thing in the morning.

Attached Files:

4. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nice score. You can't beat locust.
  5. Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid Atlantic
    Sadly, our local dump definitely does not allow you to remove wood already on site. Everything there from little branches to 2-3 ft logs gets chipped. So you have to get the wood from a tree guy or a neighbor before it ever hits the dump.
  6. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    They tried that B.S. here too. No dump picking is allowed at all, except they do allow the citizens to take a compost that they make from all the brush and leaves and chips. When we pointed out that the wood was an ingrediant of the compost, their hypocricy was exposed, and they relented.
  7. SolarAndWood

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    You are not supposed to dump anything over 4" where those locust blocks were sitting. It turns into a free for all after the boys are done on Saturday until they get back Monday morning. I wish I had time last night to grab another load or two. When I went by on my way to the office this morning, the payloader had already had its way with the pile. While I was grabbing that load, I did give my number to another tree guy who noticed what I was up to. They said they would give me a call later this week.
  8. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Just having pine on the property is enough to cause a chimney fire in most chimneys.
  9. SolarAndWood

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    That is the best source of free wood around here. It would be nice if burning wood at all was made known to be a source of chimney fires.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.