Free Standing or Insert: Planning for the future

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Ok, I just bought a second stove that will go inside a fireplace that is 26" high 35" wide and just under 30" deep. I am a happy camper and can't wait until the winter to see what type of difference this will make. But, this stove is only a short term solution due to budget limitations. In about 5 years or so (maybe less) I will end up swapping out the Intrepid II with a bigger stove and I will do the same to the other stove located in another portion of the house. Which will be done first is unknown at this point.

With the size of the fire place that I have for the second stove I am still able to purchase a decent size free standing stove that would fit in that space (I think even a Jøtul Oslo with the short leg kit would fit...maybe).

So, my question is, what would I be better off buying; an insert or a free standing stove? Lets say the price and firebox size are equal on a free standing stove and an insert and both have blowers, which would give off better/more heat? Do free standing stoves provide more heat since you technically have all sides exposed (even if it is stuck in a fireplace)? Or would the insert work better since it is made to push the air out as oppose to collecting inside the fireplace?

All things being equal, a free standing stove will generally perform better than an insert. Also, in the event of a power outage, the stove will obviously work much better. OTOH, the free standing stove will also require more floor space and a larger hearth. If space is not a concern, I would suggest going with the free standing stove.

Wet1 said:
All things being equal, a free standing stove will generally perform better than an insert. Also, in the event of a power outage, the stove will obviously work much better. OTOH, the free standing stove will also require more floor space and a larger hearth. If space is not a concern, I would suggest going with the free standing stove.

The stove would be located inside the fireplace.

I see what you're saying. If that's what you want to do, I would just install an insert since that's what's it's designed for. An insert and a free standing stove are pretty much the same thing if you install the stove inside the fireplace and leave the surround off.

BrotherBart's got his Englander freestander shoved into his fireplace. I think he did some mods to make the airflow from the blower kit more effective. He's quite happy with the performance, so far as I know. I really like the looks of those "hearth stove" installations. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.