1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Free Your Orifices!!

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by whlago, Feb 9, 2013.

1. whlago

whlago Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Connecticut
    Had to shovel out my exhaust vent for my propane boiler this morning. My OAK was getting some buildup on it as well....check all your inlets and outlets!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    My dirty mind though of something else! ;sick

I did check my OAK before bed, It was fine. But it was really close come morning! Luckily I disconnected it last night due to the wind warning. If it was connected it would have suck in some snow I bet! Good tip!
  3. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    How come you disconnected the oak because of the high wind warning? Just curious. We had blizzard conditions with wind gusts around 50-60 and my stove didn't skip a beat. Well except for the 2 second power loss but it woke me up so I checked on the stove and it was like nothing happened. Must have just went back to doing its job when the power came back on.
  4. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    The OAK cap I have seems to be affected by the wind. On a good windy day it will trip my vacuum switch and shut the stove down. I have to do something. Wind usually causes power outages. Not having the OAK hooked up bugs me as I will get smoke out the OAK if the power goes out!

Too cold to mess with it now, But I will very soon.
  5. exoilburner

exoilburner Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Washington State
    Ran a vent brush thru my OAK and it came back full of spider webs. Don't know how much they affected the air flow but it its something to ponder. My rig runs 9 to 10 months a year so they must be tenacious little buggers.