Freedom Fuel pellets by nature's earth - comments?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caseyclan

Dec 23, 2007
Missouri
I have been burning Pennington pelets in my stove, and thought i might try some different brands for comparison. Tried some from TSC but it seems each bag was at least 1/8 full of sawdust and fines. Mostly crumbled pellets. I am trying a new brand that is sold at Home Depot: Freedom Fuel by Nature's Earth (made in Alabama). They are made 100% kiln dried pine, and the bag says they have less than .4% ash. These are softwood pellets, so I would expect a higher ash count so we will see how accurate the bag stats really are. Has anyone burned these, and if so, what did you think? So far, the flame height has been consistent, and they do burn hot.

I've burned a few bags in my Harman XXV and I did like their heat output and lack of clinkers. The pellets
were smaller in diameter than most so you may have to adjust feed level. All in all, I had a positive experience
burning Freedom Fuel.

I burned about a ton, the heat out put is OK, alot of dark ash, and the glass gets dirty quickly, price was right for my area, When I purchased them in the beginning of the heating season they did not have the Pellet institute stamp on them, recently I check there web site and they are now a member. They are light in color and they have a funky smell when you open the bag, inconstant size.

I just bought 7 bags from Home Depot at 4.3 per bag. (189 per ton in PA)
Ive only had the stove a month and a half or so..burned energex and like them..
Tried a few bags of Penningtons from Walmart at 4.94 per bag, those had alot of ash in the burn pot..same heat level..
both of those are hardwoods..
this will be my first try at softwood pellets. The price is not bad at all..
But i still had half a bag in the hopper that will last the night..so I wont see how these burn until tommorrow.
Im glad others had good experience with them..i was weary of softwood pellets and ash build up.
At 189 per ton..if they burn as good as or better than the energex Ive been burning I may get 3 or 4 tons and have next year covered already (65 delivery charge no matter how many tons).

That makes me mad. Here I sit burning LP because I can't find pellets for my stove and you guys are burning pellets made in Alabama. I called the Nature's Earth plant but they have no dealers in my area and it's a 3 hour drive to their location. Oh well, were supposed to have temperatures near 70 by Sunday (been in the 30s here all day today) and you can bet I won't run out next year!

ive burned 2 bags so far..they put out the head..and the ash is ok..not as good as others..but it doesnt block the flames in the burnpot like the penningtons did.
They do seem get chewed up faster thatn the hard wood ones..If I cant find a good source of hardwood pellets that I like..ill use more of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.