1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Freestanding wood stove in zero clearance design?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jlightning, Feb 13, 2013.

1. jlightning

jlightning Member

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    Is it possible or practical enough to put in a large freestanding stove where my zero clearance wood stove is now? I have a feeling that this is a very expensive project if it is even possible at all.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    With good planning and the right stove this has been done. It usually requires replacing the chimney, but not always depending on what is currently installed. Pay close attention to the stove clearance specs.
    ScotO likes this.
  3. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Along with what BG said, many wood stoves are NOT approved for alcove installations. That is essentially what you're gonna end up with, so do your homework BEFORE you buy your stove, & make sure you get the right unit...
    ScotO likes this.
  4. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    It's possible with some planning. There are a lot of stoves on the market that are approved for an alcove, and have pretty generous clearances.

Is your fireplace cantilevered from the house? If it's not, then it wouldn't be an alcove install anyway, just remove all the framing around the fireplace. The chimney will need to be replaced with a class A system.
    If you pay to have the work done, expect at least $6,000. Of course this would depend on the height of the chimney.
  5. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    I'd suggest double checking this one - my understanding is that the definition of "alcove" install has more to do with the ceiling clearance above the stove (and possibly the side clearances) than how the floor is supported.
    DAKSY likes this.
  6. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    I didn't say anything about the way the floor was supported.
    I am saying: If it's a cantilevered fireplace, then it would be considered an alcove after the fireplace is removed, unless the stove sits in front of the bump out.
    If it's not cantilevered, then once the framing is removed, it's not an alcove. Above the stove would be the original ceiling, the same as the rest of the house. Therefore not an alcove. The fireplace and all the framing for the fireplace would be removed.
  7. jlightning

jlightning Member

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    If the wood stove and zero clearance fireplace are removed I am guessing it would be considered an alcove. I have 9' ceilings in the room that i would be installing the stove and the house is 5years old. I am guessing that i do not have a class A chimney either.
  8. jlightning

jlightning Member

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    What would i get w/ a class A chimney vs what I already have?
  9. DAKSY

Loc:
    Safety. What you have in there isn't rated to handle the temperatures generated by a wood stove...
    ScotO and Defiant like this.
  10. sticks

sticks Member

Loc:
    Central IN
    If it helps the other problem with that chimney is that there is no way to support it safely. Most likely it is air cooled double wall system. When you pull the drywall off you will see on top of the fireplace air holes that allow the cooling air up the chimney. There is no support box made for this system and it is not approved any way.
    ScotO and webby3650 like this.
  11. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Pics.:cool: we love photos
    ScotO likes this.
  12. wkpoor

wkpoor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Amanda, OH
    There has been alot of chatter this year about folks wanting to convert something ZC to something woodburning airtight. Can someone explain to me how Heatilator certified their Constitution high efficiency fireplace (that is basically same as an insert) that uses the exact same air cooled chimney as their ZC's do. I was recently in a showroom where you could walk in behind the mock ups. The Constitution and a ZC right beside each other with same SL300 chimney. Just curious
  13. jlightning

jlightning Member

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    I had an insulated liner installed when putting in my winterport but If i want to go any bigger what kind of chimney and piping will i need?
  14. DAKSY

Loc:
    You will have to determine that by the stove you buy. Most have a 6" flue collar & require 6" ID from the collar, thru the connector pipe, thru the chimney & to the cap. There are some models out there with 8" flue collars, but I kinda doubt you be able to squeeze one of those monsters into a ZC space...