1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Freezing snowblower pull cord

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by EatenByLimestone, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    How can I keep the pull cord on my snowblower from freezing to itself? Snow melts on the engine and freezes the cord to itself. Is there anything I can coat the cord with to keep the frozen water from binding the coils to each other?

Oil or wax maybe?

Matt

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    I would agree, wax or silicone on the rope might help. I'd be leary of using oil as that might attack the rope fibers.

However prevention will probably help more than anything else. When done with the machine, don't just shut it down and run inside. Take a few minutes to wipe as much of the snow off as you can, and let the engine run for a few minutes to get things at least partly dry before turning it off. Also cover the machine with at least a tarp, if you can get it into some sort of shelter that is even better.

I'd also look to see if you are missing some of you shrouds or something, seems like I've been using snow blowers for a long time and never noticed having this problem...

Gooserider
  3. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    It has a shroud. It may have been the cord itself. It may have been 25+yrs old and the minor shreading gave the ice a place to hold on to. I put a new cord on the wheel, but haven't reinstalled it yet. Since 3-6" is supposed to be coming tomorrow I bet it'll see some use.

I'll let you know the results if my neighbor doesn't get out and do the snow first. He's been itching to blow snow since he just picked up a blower of his own.

Matt
  4. d.n.f.

d.n.f. New Member

Loc:
    Nelson BC
    You could try waxing it.

Candle wax on a shovel prevents the snow from sticking to it.

We used to wax string for something when we were kids. Can't tell you what the hell for now.
  5. JRP3

JRP3 Member

I've often replaced pull cords with steel cable. They pull smoother and never break :cheese:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.