Fresh Air Pipe???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

logcruiser

Dec 28, 2010
Kansas
Moved into a new place last year and noticed a 2" galvanised pipe sticking out of the back of the fireplace outside? I also found that this pipe is cut off level with the bottom of the fireplace in the bottom just to the side of the fire grate also was full of ashes and foamed on the outside. This is not a clean-out as that is in the rear of the fireplace and the door is also outside on the back. The firebox is steel (except for the floor)and appears to be like a heatolator (has the blower vents). I would like to know if this is supposed to be a fresh air intake because from my fires this week it needs more air when the door is closed. FYI house was built around 1980.

Thanks,
Mike

Welcome to the hearth. We'll need a little more information to give you an accurate estimate of the use, like what kind of fireplace, metal, stone, concrete, closed, opened, pre-fabbed, etc. It could be an outside air supply, but may also be an access for a gas log setup. Help us help you.

It appears from the front to be a normal brick fireplace except for the 2 lower and 2 upper vents in the brick. On the inside it is all metal except for the floor (fire brick?) with the 2" pipe and clean-out. Wondering if there was ever a fresh air fire grate???? since the 2" pipe is at the end of the current fire grate and looks to have been hacked off at the floor.

Sounds like a pre-fab to me, but you'll have to hear it from an expert, coming soon. Before you build a fire in the grate, have a professional look at what is there. Maybe if you can describe the flue and let us know if it's sheetmetal, tapping will tell, or if the firebox is mortared in place you'll get some better answers.

If it is well off to one side, it very well may have been for a gas log. It doesn't mean it cannot be used for an outside air supply. One would expect an air supply to be more centred though.

Whatever it was originally meant for, if it is working as an outside air supply, maybe it isn't so bad to have. I would want a screen on the outside to keep insects out in summer.

It is threaded on the outside so I have a cap on it now. The damper handle says it is a Majestic... looking into that now. Wouldn't 2" be big for a gas line? Should I pipe it around to the front center? I would think it had to be connected to something if it was fresh air because in it's current configuration it would easily get clogged with ashes.

logcruiser said:
Wouldn't 2" be big for a gas line?
It is against code for the gas line to be embedded directly into conrete or mortar so if it is for a gas line, it would just be an outer casing. The smaller gas line would run inside it. Probably it was cut off flush with the hearth sometime afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.