Q&A Fresh Air Supply for stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I've been think of installing a fresh air supply to my Blaze King Wood Stove since our house is very well insulated & air tight. Haven't experienced problems, but with the past mild winters I normally have to run the stove at a lower setting than I would like to & was thinking that a fresh air supply couldn't hurt. Being a do it your selfer I was thinking of running PVC pipe from an available window to the stove. If I do the pipe will run approx. 5 ft. along the ceiling, 8 ft. down a wall & then 3 feet through the wall to the stove's fresh air hookup. Two things to answer. Is this too long (16-20 ft.)to run a fresh air supply? If not any recommendations on diameter of pipe to use ? Don't want to waste time or money if its not going to work. Thanks in advance for any feedback & sorry to be so lengthy.

Answer:

I'd do it as long as I wasn't bending over backwards. I don't think you're going to save any significant amount of money doing this. I don't think that it's not going to work. 20' shouldn't be too long. It's only air that you're pulling in. There's little flow resistance. Have you considered drier vent instead of PVC? It might be cheaper and easier to install. There's often a special connector that mounts to your stove for the Outside Air.

Check out the article links below.

Link: Article one on outside air

Link: Article two on outside air

Status
Not open for further replies.