Fresh air supply for wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frascati

Sep 16, 2013
May have been discussed here many times. I'm watching the first year's fire tonight and thinking about drafting, well sealed homes, pulling warmed air out of the house to feed the fire, etc. It occurred to me that it might be an idea to open a 2.5 to 3 inch diameter inlet in the bricks behind the woodstove (my jotul f400 castine is inserted in the fireplace) with baffled box outside to resist wind and screen to keep wildlife out. Idea being to feed the stove in its locale with cold air instead of with already heated inside air.

Of course a CO2 meter is a must. Are there any discussions on this or webpages anyone might point out to me?

It seems as if my Jotul Castine has a fresh air connection somewhere? It's hard to find information on it even on the jotul website. Is it on the back somewhere? It's hard to get a good look now as it's inserted in the fireplace.

bottom rear in the center is where the OAK gets connected to the Castine. You'll find a 3" hole there.

Status
Not open for further replies.