Fresh Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quad I know in the past you have stated you never cover your wood.What is the longest batch of wood that you left uncovered before it showed signs of going punky and what type of wood are we talking.

Nice pictures by the way,I too have been busy this winter and have got about 15 cord of Ash stacked up off the ground similar to how Dennis(Backwoods) does his, but mine is not covered.

Jeff

golfandwoodnut said:
Nice job quads. That does give me the idea of now stacking more where I cut it instead of always trying to lug it up close to the house. Better to wait for the right conditions, or when you need it. Do you have to milk those cows too? Must keep you busy, but it is good to know you have enough wood and food to last for generations.
Yep, I milk them morning and night. I'm retired from most of the field work now though.

GatorDL55 said:
Quad - I see in your signature that you are a maul swinger -- did you split that all by hand????????
Every single stick of it! All with that old maul, all in the woods where it was cut, and all split directly on the ground. Been doing it that way every year for 40 years now. The maul head is 30 years old, and the handle is 25. The epoxy holding the handle in the head is finally starting to shrink a bit. It's getting some play in it and I may have to replace it sometime this decade.

Jeff S said:
Quad I know in the past you have stated you never cover your wood.What is the longest batch of wood that you left uncovered before it showed signs of going punky and what type of wood are we talking.

Nice pictures by the way,I too have been busy this winter and have got about 15 cord of Ash stacked up off the ground similar to how Dennis(Backwoods) does his, but mine is not covered.

Jeff
I'm not sure that oak ever goes punky, as long as it's split and stacked. The longest I've ever had it stacked before burning would be over 5 years and it was perfect, solid wood yet. I've seen other people's oak split and stacked even longer with no problems. Even the stuff that I cut which was already a little punky, doesn't seem to get any worse after stacked for many years. I always figured if the few slightly punky splits go completely bad after being stacked five years, I'd just throw them back into the woods, but I've never had to do that.

quads, that is a good stash. Only one who has done that can truly appreciate it. Keep up the good work. If I'm ever in your area I might stop in and milk those cows for you so you can have a day off.

Backwoods Savage said:
quads, that is a good stash. Only one who has done that can truly appreciate it. Keep up the good work. If I'm ever in your area I might stop in and milk those cows for you so you can have a day off.

Ya might want to rethink that Dennis - I hear he milks those by hand too. %-P

Worry not Jags. It will not be new to me.

Backwoods Savage said:

My grandmother at 97 years old, could crack the lid to any jar handed to her. She grew up hand milking. It makes for one hardy person, thats for sure.

Funny part to that is: she grew up just north and west of where Quads is (Spooner area).

Backwoods Savage said:
Thanks Dennis!

Jags said:
Backwoods Savage said:

My grandmother at 97 years old, could crack the lid to any jar handed to her. She grew up hand milking. It makes for one hardy person, thats for sure.

Funny part to that is: she grew up just north and west of where Quads is (Spooner area).
If I had to milk cows by hand nowadays, well, let's just say there would be a lot less cows on the farm!

I'm familiar with the Spooner area. Been up there many times. Not for a few years now, but hope to go again soon. We used to go up to a small place called Oxbo, WI a couple times a year, opening of musky fishing and opening of sturgeon fishing. The last few times I went up there was mostly for riding ATV. Very beautiful wild country.

Absolutely awesome Quads! That, to be sure, is a lot of wood! How much wood land do you own? Wow! Cheers!

Maybe that would be a good idea for a poll? How much wood land do you have for cutting firewood?

NH_Wood said:
Absolutely awesome Quads! That, to be sure, is a lot of wood! How much wood land do you own? Wow! Cheers!
I can cut anywhere on about 500 acres, half of which is fields, hedgerows, and pasture. My main cutting area, where a tornado went through a few years ago, is 80 acres.

Backwoods Savage said:
Maybe that would be a good idea for a poll? How much wood land do you have for cutting firewood?
I agree, it would be interesting to see what everyone here has for land to cut firewood on.

Status
Not open for further replies.