From high fire to clean stove in an hour...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBCOOPER

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2010
Stowe, Pa
Needed to do the weekly deep clean and its cold out. Set the stove to high and the thermostat to 77. Figured it would get a little cold in the house by the time I had let it cool down and got it cleaned. Something weird happened on shut down and there were still a few pellets smouldering in the pot after the stove went thru it cool/down shut/down cycle. Its never done that before but I usually never run it on high. Could have been because it need to be cleaned. So there was a smoke smell coming up thru the hopper so I unplugged it and plugged it back in so it would go thru the power failure purge cycle. While I was doing this I put my hand on the aluminum OAK hose and it was very cold. Then the light bulb went on. Its about 20 degrees out so if I run it thru the purge cycle a couple of times the stove would be cold enough to clean it. So after 3 cycles it was cold enough that I could touch everything with my bare hand. Burn pot, ash pan and ash was cool to touch. So I cleaned the bin and pot vacuumed out the combustion fan compartment, blew compressed air on the blades cleaned the glass and was done in an hour. Shop vac is outside just as a safety precaution and the house hasn't cooled of enough to bring it back on yet. Another advantage to having the OAK.

Interesting, Never though of using the cold OAK air as a power cooling device! I'll log that in memory for future use! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.