from previous owner's burn pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktail

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2011
Western WA
The previous owner of my house had a burn pile in the woods behind the house. According to the neighbor it hadn't been burned for two years. I went back there to check it out and clear the weeds away so I can use it. I guess with just an open fireplace he didn't have much need for the wood. It woulda been a waste to leave this maple in there and let it just go up in smoke. This pile of branches had more than just junk in it.

shark2.jpg

The stuff's about as dry as can be.

I couldn't resist burning a couple in the new insert tonight.
maple.jpg

After this storm passes I need to pull the rest of the good stuff out and burn what's left. I've got a few alder snags to cut down too. Might be some usable wood in them but I have a feeling most of it is rotten and will just go on the pile.

I got the Poulan for free so I'm gonna get as much use out of it as I can.

Great pics! Looks like good firewood to me! I like your kindling crock and have a similar one here but it has some pretty big cracks..

Ray

Very nice clean looking insert.. What brand and model is it? You should update your signature so we all know what toys you have :)

Ray

Welcome to the forum Jamie. Good for you for getting the wood and that was a nice price on the saw!

Backwoods Savage said:
Welcome to the forum Jamie. Good for you for getting the wood and that was a nice price on the saw!

+1 Didn't notice you are a new member.. Welcome to the forum Jamie!

Ray

I like the insert,who makes it? My wife wants an insert instead of the free standing stove we use now so I am trying to get educated on different ones.

what a great score on the wood! Nothing like moving into a new house and seeing some of what you need right in the backyard. BTW, welcome to the forum...

Welcome to the forum, great looking insert. Enjoy and visit often.

Save that seasoned wood for a cold night! It may be a long time before you see good seasoned wood again!

Ken S said:
I like the insert,who makes it? My wife wants an insert instead of the free standing stove we use now so I am trying to get educated on different ones.

It's a Lopi Republic 1250. Lopi has a good reputation, they're local, and the price was good.

The chainsaw was given to me by someone who got it to trim branches on his property but wasn't happy with the way it ran. I think they had the fuel mixed too rich. With fresh gas at the right mixture it seems to work fine. The thing had barely been used when I got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.