Front Clearance for a Harman Accentra Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Proulx06

Oct 2, 2013
Southern NH
Hi all,

Getting our new Harman Accentra 52i Insert installed on 11/13. Going to get the permit today.

In speaking with our dealer (John at Stove Keepers in Brookline, NH, who has been incredible), we need some more hearth (or a hearth rug or pad) before the inspection will pass. Per the Accentra manual, we need 6" of non-combustible material in front of the glass. As our hearth sits now, the Accentra will come to the front edge of our hearth.

My question: since the hearth is 6" above the floor, does this count? Or does it have to be 6" in front?

Per the Harman manual:

Floor protection must be used from hearth opening to 6"
in front of door glass and 6" to each side
of the stove body to protect combustibles from hot ashes. A
minimum size will be 16.5" deep by 30" wide and be made
of a non-combustible material or meet UL approval.

Assuming the hearth rugs are non-combustible (they are) and meet UL approval (?), I should be fine with one of those, right? I'm trying to confirm with our building inspectors, but they seem to simply reference the manufacturer's install manual.

Hi all,

Getting our new Harman Accentra 52i Insert installed on 11/13. Going to get the permit today.

In speaking with our dealer (John at Stove Keepers in Brookline, NH, who has been incredible), we need some more hearth (or a hearth rug or pad) before the inspection will pass. Per the Accentra manual, we need 6" of non-combustible material in front of the glass. As our hearth sits now, the Accentra will come to the front edge of our hearth.

My question: since the hearth is 6" above the floor, does this count? Or does it have to be 6" in front?

Per the Harman manual:

Floor protection must be used from hearth opening to 6"
in front of door glass and 6" to each side
of the stove body to protect combustibles from hot ashes. A
minimum size will be 16.5" deep by 30" wide and be made
of a non-combustible material or meet UL approval.

Assuming the hearth rugs are non-combustible (they are) and meet UL approval (?), I should be fine with one of those, right? I'm trying to confirm with our building inspectors, but they seem to simply reference the manufacturer's install manual.

A hearth rug will not meet code. You'll need a hearth extension if yours falls short.

Would something like this work? Or does it have to be attached to the current hearth? I'm trying to figure out how hard it would be to cut away at the laminate floor, mortar some more brick in there, and paint it to match.

http://nh.craigslist.org/for/4126559888.html

Attached is a picture of our current hearth where the Accentra will go. From the fireplace opening to the front of the current hearth is 15", exactly how far the Accentra sticks out.

Attachments

• 20131003_235957.jpg
    20131003_235957.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 598
Would something like this work? Or does it have to be attached to the current hearth? I'm trying to figure out how hard it would be to cut away at the laminate floor, mortar some more brick in there, and paint it to match.

http://nh.craigslist.org/for/4126559888.html

Attached is a picture of our current hearth where the Accentra will go. From the fireplace opening to the front of the current hearth is 15", exactly how far the Accentra sticks out.

That is an approved product for hearth protection. It DOES NOT need to be attached to the existing riser. It will definitely move on a hardwood floor, though, so you may want to try to try to secure it. Something as simple as a few goobs of silicone will probably work.
Once it sets up, you should be good to go .

That is an approved product for hearth protection. It DOES NOT need to be attached to the existing riser. It will definitely move on a hardwood floor, though, so you may want to try to try to secure it. Something as simple as a few goobs of silicone will probably work.
Once it sets up, you should be good to go .

If you had to make a hearth extension, what would you need besides the top tiles to pass code?

If you had to make a hearth extension, what would you need besides the top tiles to pass code?

You would have to adhere them to a base, either Durarock or Hardi backer, for starters. The you'd probably want to mount that assembly on a plywood or particle board base to allow somewhere for you to fasten the trim. YMMV...

Status
Not open for further replies.