frost?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

magsf11

Feeling the Heat
Jan 31, 2009
buffalo ny
Just noticed this, there is some frost build up were my oak and stove meet. hoping it has something to do with the -2 temp outside and nothing else.

magsf11 said:
Just noticed this, there is some frost build up were my oak and stove meet. hoping it has something to do with the -2 temp outside and nothing else.

Nice cold air will do that.

My elephant trunk has a nice coating that can get fairly long depending on temperature. It starts when the temperature outside gets down in the single digits.

SmokeyTheBear said:
magsf11 said:

My elephant trunk has a nice coating that can get fairly long depending on temperature. It starts when the temperature outside gets down in the single digits.

Why not wrap some insulation around the "elephant trunk", even on warmer days it still cools the air around it, etc. etc.

Ro3bert said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
magsf11 said:

Why not wrap some insulation around the "elephant trunk", even on warmer days it still cools the air around it, etc. etc.

Are you suggesting that I not preheat my combustion air a little bit?

I'm more likely to wrap some copper piping around it and use the copper piping to dispense some brews from.

It's still a balmy 5 degrees here but my OAK is all white and frosty now. It's just the humidity in the room. I put a towel under it to catch any drips and let it be. I'm right on the ocean so I'm wondering how cold it will really get?

Chan

SmokeyTheBear said:
Ro3bert said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
magsf11 said:

Are you suggesting that I not preheat my combustion air a little bit?

As a matter of fact I am but see below.

copper piping around it and use the copper piping to dispense some brews from.

Seems to me a better use would be to route that copper pipe filled with antifreeze to your refrigerator to cut down on your electric bill. :roll:

I don't have the frost problem on my OAK. It runs in the same chimney flue as the exhaust vent and it get preheated by it. It was below 0 this morning and when I shot the OAK where it comes into the old fireplace with the inferred temp gun it was at 80+ degrees.

I get frost on the OAK duct right where the duct comes into the house, but not near the furnace. Only get frost when temps drop below 0°F, so it has to be mighty frigid out there.

Was -32 here thursday night and no frost on OAK. Selkirk direct-temp venting. :)

House humidity sounds high.

Wi Thundercat, hey can I PM you have some questions about your Direct Temp Piping.

Status
Not open for further replies.