1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Frozen wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by 1750, Nov 24, 2013.

1. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    Last official skeeter kill here this year was Nov 18. We were almost praying for winter to arrive just to knock down the crazy bugs this year.
    loon and Backwoods Savage like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    The one place I DO get mosquitoes in the winter is in the house...when snow melts on the wood I bring in after a storm...always seem to get one or two of our friends flying around.

Once, many, many years ago before I knew better I took a load of firewood to my Dad on Nantucket. Half an hour into the drive, heading south, starting killing what seemed like an endless stream of the darn things on the windshield....
  3. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    The grounds this fall (just before freezing up here) looked like it did in the Spring. Nothing dried out this year - in fact more water on the ground than in previous Spring thaws. I'm afraid to see what next Spring brings us on the skeeter front.

Sorry OP for sidetracking the thread. On the original post, I have no problem cutting up whatever I can find in the Winter. Pine (pitch) can be messy but as Backwoods mentioned you can deal with it. As mentioned, the snow can get in the way, but leaving the frozen rounds piled up until it we get a thaw and I can move them later is an option. If it's a decent winter day, I'll even split some of the easier stuff on the spot and throw it in a sled and drag it across the property - not very efficient at all, but just another excuse for me and pup(s) to be outside getting some exercise. If you can get an outside fire going at the same time, its even better to be out cutting this time of year.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  4. WriteNoob

WriteNoob Member

Loc:
    Eau Claire, Wisconsin
    I was fixing an overhead door (my job) at the post office in Phillips, Wisconsin, yesterday (it was about -10, that morning) when a gentleman of about 80, or so came stomping in with a big smile for everyone.

"Fine day!", says he, "Deer flies ain't bitin' near's bad as I expected."

I've been all around the world, but darned if I still don't love home, best.
  5. 1750

1750 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Michigan
    Alright, the really good news is that the frozen hemlock splits much, MUCH better than the non-frozen hemlock.

Though I lack the mythical X27, I busted the heck out of that stuff this weekend with my plain ol' True Temper splitting maul.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Welcome to the forum WriteNoob. The old man is right!
    WriteNoob likes this.
  7. Twisted Priorities

Twisted Priorities New Member

Loc:
    Cottam, Ontario, Canada
    We find that live trees that are cut down and buck durning the year are easier than cutting dead frozen trees in the winter. The dead white ash (standing, leaning or downed) are harder on chains and takes longer to buck.
    Has anyone else noticed this ?
    Valhalla likes this.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Not me. And we've been cutting dead white ash for many years now in addition to some dead pin oaks.
    Valhalla likes this.
  9. Valhalla

Valhalla Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Essex County, New York
    To the subject line, I do try to split some fresh cut rounds when frozen. Prefer early spring and late fall.