Fuego Insert Vs. VC Winterwarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK

Hearth Supporter
Oct 19, 2007
Shohola PA
Hi all: Got a question. I am currently burning a catalytic VC winterwarm unit with twin blowers. Works good unless the power goes out which happens often in the wilds of Shohola PA. I saw a Fuego insert for sale that claims to heat 3000 sq ft without blowers. Anyone with experience, conjecture or rumor on the Fuego. Thanks.

No definite data, but I'd be suspicious... Nearly all the discussion I've seen on the topic from insert owners says that you need a blower to get much heat out of an insert - during a power failure they put out some heat, but not much more than what it takes to keep the room the insert's in warm. OTOH some of the inserts take less blower power than others, and some have reported good results from using a backup battery and inverter to keep the blower running for at least a while.

Gooserider

If power outages are that frequent, you may want to consider a voltage inverter for the stove as the only item it would be supporting would be the stove - the fans on that unit do not draw a huge amount of power.

First of all the location of your insert make a big difference if it is located in a center chimney it will still provide decent heat during a power outage. with out blower usage.

thge blower becomes more of an issue if the fireplace is located on the outside wall as too much heat is transmitter outside and a blower capures it and propels it back to the living space

Status
Not open for further replies.