Fuel leaking from carb

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bootlegger

Hearth Supporter
My neighbor's Huskee splitter has a 5.5 hp B&S engine. It's leaking gas from the air inlet side of the carb. It runs out of the small port then drips through the gaskets. I cleaned the surfaces and replaced the gaskets and it still leaks. I don't see any cracks in the carb or the air cleaner housing. Any suggestions? Is gasket sealer recommended here?

Bootlegger said:
My neighbor's Huskee splitter has a 5.5 hp B&S engine. It's leaking gas from the air inlet side of the carb. It runs out of the small port then drips through the gaskets. I cleaned the surfaces and replaced the gaskets and it still leaks. I don't see any cracks in the carb or the air cleaner housing. Any suggestions? Is gasket sealer recommended here?

Is it leaking when its just sitting or when it runs ?
It sounds like the float is sticking and the fuel just leaks out until the lines are empty .
Some units will siphon from tank .

wellbuilt home said:
Is it leaking when its just sitting or when it runs ?
It sounds like the float is sticking and the fuel just leaks out until the lines are empty .
Some units will siphon from tank .

Yes, exactly. I have to turn the fuel valve off or all the fuel runs out. The fuel isn't suppose to just run out that port is it? Do I need to take apart the carb to unstick the float?

Sometimes you can unstick a float by gently, gently rapping with a hammer handle or piece of wood. Then run some cleaner through or rebuild later to eliminate the problem. It's probably gummed up.

WASAJCO said:
Sometimes you can unstick a float by gently, gently rapping with a hammer handle or piece of wood. Then run some cleaner through or rebuild later to eliminate the problem. It's probably gummed up.

I'll try it this afternoon. I have some liquid wrench, should I purchase some carb cleaner (Gummout?), or is it all the same?

It has a bad float valve or seat. You're lucky to have a shutoff valve. Mine has no shutoff. If the float were actually stuck, it would also run very poorly.

Gumout, or any good carb cleaner is good for cleaning out a carb, but I use it for rebuilding them. Never tried it just to add to gas. I had an old defective carb that could not be rebuilt, had to get a new/used one, when I took it apart the float was set very low, would do one or two cycles, then stall. Would restart easily and then stall again. Neat little trick, it was running out of fuel. First time I had to play with a ruined carb, the bowl was junk. It was an older B&S updraft carb.

If you want to try the "magic potion" approach before rebuilding, I'd recomend a good dollop of "Sea Foam" - comes in two flavors - spray can and liquid - get both, pour a good shot of the liquid in the tank along with some gas, and spritz the carb, especially any passages you can get to, with the spray. If that doesn't work, it's rebuild time...

Gooserider

+1 for “Sea Foam” , Usually works well unless as Gooserider says it's beyond help and needs a rebuild. Be safe.
Ed

Sea foam is good stuff .
Try running the motor and tapping the float with a plastic hammer or screw driver handle .
I always run my equipment out of fuel .
Id bet you have some dried fuel (varnish) stuck in the bowl .
Run a few tanks of fuel with seafoam or other cleaner and see if it stops leaking.
You could try removing the bowl and cleaning it out .
I don't really ever try a rebuild i just replace the carb if it gos bad .
The truth is if the motors start having troubles i just buy a new one from tractor supply and bolt it up . John

There are some excellent carb rebuilding video's on the that internet thing. I just fixed up my genny that has not run well since I got it back from my dad. I had never rebuilt a carb before on a small engine, but had no problems after watching the vid's online. $ 15 for a rebuilt kit, genny runs like the day I bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.