Fuel Tank Hole Repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
So I am working on the old craftsman 2.0 that I got for free. When I got it has the original bar with lettering on it and it looks like it has a few hours of use. The problem was the guy used it a few times when he bought it then let it sit for ten years. I took it apart and saw that the hole for the fuel line in the tank was drilled out and he tried using a larger fuel line.

Now I can not just put the regular size fuel line in it because the hole in the tank is too big and it will leak gas. How can I fix this problem?

If you have an old fuel line from a Stihl or other saw that has a grommet, you could try to snip the grommet from the line, run the smaller fuel line through the grommet, and see if the grommet will fit the larger opening (or make it fit the larger opening. Cheers!

Unfortunately I do not have that off of a stihl. Although I have a bunch of rubber and plastic hoses in the garage. If I can find I line that fits in the bigger hole it needs to also fit snug around the real sized fuel line.

I was wondering if I could buy a plastic welder from harbor freight. Seal the hole, then re drill it to the right size?

You could try JB weld.
Form their website:

When fully cured, J-B Weld is completely resistant to water, gasoline, and about every other petroleum product or automotive chemical. For wet-surface or submerged water or gasoline repairs, try our SteelStik or WaterWeld.

Reactions: UncleJoe
Thanks guys I bought the SteelStick and will try it.

I also have an olderish craftsman that leaks where the fuel line goes into the tank at the top of the tank. If the tank is full and I tilt it to the side it will slowly leak out of there. I was wondering if I can apply this steel stick around the fuel line to stop the leak?

Should I just put the steel stick around the line while it is in the fuel tank. Or should I remove the line and apply the steel stick then put the fuel line back in?

I have heard of good success with fuel proof epoxies used for this repair. The upside is you have nothing to loose because it is junk as is. I think I would seal the hole with epoxy and re-drill next to it in - not through the epoxy if possible and give it a go. Worst case: you have to replace the fuel cell anyway. Drilling through the epoxy seems like a limited fix to me but it may work??

Reactions: Jags
I should of specified in my last post I was talking about another chainsaw that slowly leaks where the fuel line enters the tank. How should I apply the steel stick to fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.